Light-O-Rama Forums

setting up mulitple window matrix using as little controller as possible

randy88cougar

Does anyone know or have ideas on how to use less controllers for mutliple matrix. For instance i have 3 windows which window 1 24 pixel hx 18 pixel wide, window 2 same 24x18 window 3 24x48 pixel. So i was thinking i could go with 1 fold in the S5 preview and do 12 universes that are 168 pixels wide. which would come out to be 504 channels just short of the 512 max that would give me 24x84 matrix. i would do power injection if necessary. but i dont see how i could seperate the 3 matrixes in the preview, can anyone confirm i am correct with my assumption and suggest how i can separate each window. So i can make separate motion effects. thanks in advanced.

Are you trying to make the three windows function as a single matrix or three separate matricies?  I gather from your description that it is the latter.  The rest of this assumes that to be the case.

Build them both physically and in the Preview Editor as three totally separate matricies.  If you want to display stuff that uses all three, build a group in the Preview Editor.  This is one example of how you would build it.

Matrix #1 - 18W x 24H

Wire horizontally with six rows (five folds) for 108 pixels.  Repeat three more times for all 24 rows.  If using 12 volt pixels, power injection likely not needed.  Depending on what works better for you, you could start at the top and work down, or start at the bottom and work up.

Matrix #2 - 18W x 24H

Same as Matrix 1

Matrix #3 - 48W x 24H

Wire horizontally with three rows (two folds) for 144 pixels.  Repeat seven more times for all 24 rows.

Following this description would use four ports each on Matricies 1 & 2, and eight ports for Matrix #3.  This would fully use a 16 port controller, and likely not need power injection.  You mentioned universes and the 512 channel limit, so I am assuming you are planning on using DMX (presumably E1.31).  You can make it easy on yourself and use one universe per port, or pack channels (that could depend on what controller you plan to use).  If you are using a Pixie16 with LOR networking as opposed to E1.31, it would be one LOR Unit ID per physical string.

There are MANY other ways you could wire this.  Just build the preview so that it matches the physical construction.

thanks jim i would be no where if it werent for you. that worked great so on to my next thing i want to figure out. so this past season i made a 14x50 pixel matrix and sequenced in s5 creating motion effects for it. this year coming up i am going to change the matrix to a 24x50 matrix. is there a way to resize the motion effects after the have been created. i am also planning a 24x18 and a 24x36 matrix that i would like to cherry pick some of the motion effects already made. meaning i would like to copy and paste the motion effect rows from the 14x50 to all 3 other matrix. however when i do that. the sizing just does not come out right. is there a way to accomplish what i am trying to do?

For the most part, Motion Effects will automagically scale to the size of the prop.  Depending on the prop, some tweeking may be required.

If some effect does not look right, double click on it - which will open the Motion Effects editor for that prop - and adjust settings as needed.

Edited by k6ccc