Light-O-Rama Forums

What percentage power do you run your pixels?

wt1924

I am wondering what power percentage does most people run their pixels? From what I can tell most do not use 100% (whether injecting or not) but what is a common percentage? I figure some will say it depends. I am looking for others experience and what percentage you guys use. Also, when you comment, how far is the audience vs percentage?

Thanks!

William,

Most of everything is 100%.  My pixel tree has run at 40% the past two years because of a need for power injection.  The pixel tree is about 70 feet from the closest cars and 125 or there abouts from the farther ones.

Everything else is spread out enough that massive light is not an issue.  The closest is the perimeter string (GE Color Effects bulbs on 10 inch spacing) and the Holiday Coro 16 segment candy canes.  Neither of those are bright.

Edited by k6ccc

This year I used 100% and our house is not set back far in the yard.  Been trying to get out one of these evenings to experiment with different brightness levels but the weather has not cooperated. I would like to go lower next year to avoid so much power injection.  From what I've read, many users go as low as 30%, so that will be the start of my testing.

ebrown1972,

Did you ever test at 100%. How different does it look at 50%? Maybe at 50% you can't tell much difference? How did you come up with 50%? Why not 40, 60 or 75?

30% on everything. They are plenty bright

Distance from 30’- 320’ from my street. 

all are the same 

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wt1924 said:

K6ccc,

Do you think your pixel tree looks dimmer or not as bright, than the rest of your display?

The pixel tree really does not normally need the brightness simply because of pixel density.  With 2870 pixels in fairly close proximity, as compared to one pixel every 7 - 10 inches in most of the other places.

At 100% I can light up the House & Yard across the Street (150 Ft away) So 30% for all Pixels, except Pixel Tree(s) 50%

I run the house matrix, and outlines at 50%

I run my PEX arches and LOR controller at 100%, and my 16 mini trees are on solid state relays so I have no brightness control over them, only on and off.

I find going too bright can make more complex graphics look washed out, I also had some trouble getting my show on video this year, and some of the effects are too bright to really take in on video.

8 hours ago, LangfordDave said:

Been trying to get out one of these evenings to experiment with different brightness levels but the weather has not cooperated. 

So I tried my 7 mini trees at varying brightnesses tonight.  100%, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, and 30%, and ran them through my show. I found that at 30 and 50% the fades didn't perform very well, and some of the colors looked too dim. Could hardly tell the difference between 80, 90, and 100. At 60 & 70 the fades weren't perfect but were fine, and the colors looked good.  Next test will be to adjust the rest of my pixels to 60% and see if I'm still happy with them.  

It's all or nothing baby, 100%. When you go to see fireworks do wanna see those small ones that go up and go pop? No, you wanna see the rockets that explode in the sky and light everything up. When you go to a concert do you wanna have to tell the people around you to be quiet so you can hear the music? No, you want it head banging loud where you come home half deaf.

Turn it down? No, turn them up, get more power supplies if you have to but I say turn them up.

• Like 2

LangfordDave,

Now I really appreciate your testing and information, that is what I was hoping for. So 75-80% the eye can tell very little difference from 100%. Thank you!

My style of sequencing (blinking with the song, not dancing to the song) ramps and such are important. I was looking at 50 - 75%. Based on your testing 60 -75% may be my target. I did little testing before display breakdown. I wish I would have done more. My planning for next year made me think of this. Thank you LangfordDave. Please share the rest of your testing

Mr. P,

I have been doing what you said for a few years. I light up the houses all around (no complaints). But expansion is making me rethink the brightness. Also, I have never video my display I would like to. I also would like to save some money. So I may be going away from your way (our way) of thinking to accomplish video, saving money, and not blinding the audience. Over the years soe have said it was a little hard to watch since my house is not all that far from the road, but I dismissed it. Thank you, Mr. P.

William,

13 hours ago, wt1924 said:

ebrown1972,

Did you ever test at 100%. How different does it look at 50%? Maybe at 50% you can't tell much difference? How did you come up with 50%? Why not 40, 60 or 75?

I find the set it at N% crowd annoying because it ASSUMES.

That ONLY works if you are IDENTICAL . Same Nodes, Same Power (available), Same Distance, Same node POSITION relative to audience.

As the commercial says: Try it (until) You Like it!

7 hours ago, LangfordDave said:

So I tried my 7 mini trees at varying brightnesses tonight.  100%, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, and 30%, and ran them through my show. I found that at 30 and 50% the fades didn't perform very well, and some of the colors looked too dim. Could hardly tell the difference between 80, 90, and 100. At 60 & 70 the fades weren't perfect but were fine, and the colors looked good.  Next test will be to adjust the rest of my pixels to 60% and see if I'm still happy with them.  

Its all perspective. If you video them with a drone from the same height and distance you may find what a bunch of us are talking about. 

JR

When my show starts everything I have comes on 100% white during the Welcome, my entire block looks like daytime. That is the only time everything is on full white but it is an attention grabber.

14 hours ago, wt1924 said:

ebrown1972,

My whole reason for running at 50% is all about how long my runs are. Pixels tend to flicker on all white at 100% power with longer runs. I used to run my icicles at 30% and the rest of my house outline at 50% and I could tell the difference in brightness. The average person watching the display probably would not notice. When my display was smaller I ran at 100% brightness but as I expanded my display the power was turned down to compensate for the longer runs of pixels.

All my runs are 20' or shorter as I mostly use four port controllers and place them near the props. I have very few 16 port controllers and only use them on things like large trees and matrix.

• Like 1

I am with Mr P.  All of my RGB (smart & Dumb) Controller boxes are per usage, Combi. Both type of controllers in the same CG1500. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrWf6DqDsp48J6Ynm_mz9Vixo5Vzoiv7/view?usp=sharing

eg. My corner controller has a Pixie8 (was a 4, until I had to rebuild my star-cross) that runs the drip edge (100Rev-32-100 bullets. ~14A) and a CMB24 that is for 2 Floods and other dumb seasonal props Spare power is always good (except for shorted wiring 🥵 )