Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Questions for Pixie16

bigred023

This year I bought my first 16 Channel AC light controller and loved it.

I am now planning on purchasing an Assembled Pixie16 12V controller. I have been doing A TON of reading and am learning as I go. I have two questions about power that I can't seem to find answered anywhere. 

If I filled up the maximum number of pixels on each channel I would have about 1600 pixels on the controller. (I believe it says you can have up to 170 per channel but 100 is recommended). If I did this.....

1) Should I have a dedicated breaker and outlet for the controller and if so which amperage should it be?

2)Does the power supply built into the the assembled controller have the power to support 1600 pixels?

I don't plan on having 1600 pixels to start but this unit will be permanently installed in my garage to put up permanent lights that I can use all year round. I want to have the ability to expand as needed with out modifying the controller/ power to the unit.

Thank you for your help!

Ryan

3 hours ago, bigred023 said:

This year I bought my first 16 Channel AC light controller and loved it.

I am now planning on purchasing an Assembled Pixie16 12V controller. I have been doing A TON of reading and am learning as I go. I have two questions about power that I can't seem to find answered anywhere. 

If I filled up the maximum number of pixels on each channel I would have about 1600 pixels on the controller. (I believe it says you can have up to 170 per channel but 100 is recommended). If I did this.....

1) Should I have a dedicated breaker and outlet for the controller and if so which amperage should it be?

2)Does the power supply built into the the assembled controller have the power to support 1600 pixels?

I don't plan on having 1600 pixels to start but this unit will be permanently installed in my garage to put up permanent lights that I can use all year round. I want to have the ability to expand as needed with out modifying the controller/ power to the unit.

Thank you for your help!

Ryan

First where have you read "100 is recommended". That was during beta.

1- Doesn't require it for a couple controllers.

2- Yes

JR

I was looking at this page Here.

"*Each Pixie4/8/16 controller port is fused at 4 amps and can typically power up to 100 pixels.  More pixels on a port requires power injection that Light-O-Rama does not currently support."

I did not know what they meant by "not currently support" so I took that as limiting each channel to 100 was the safest way to go. I am more than comfortable with setting up power injection but did not want to go against LOR recommendations. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, bigred023 said:

I was looking at this page Here.

"*Each Pixie4/8/16 controller port is fused at 4 amps and can typically power up to 100 pixels.  More pixels on a port requires power injection that Light-O-Rama does not currently support."

I did not know what they meant by "not currently support" so I took that as limiting each channel to 100 was the safest way to go. I am more than comfortable with setting up power injection but did not want to go against LOR recommendations. Thanks!

Yeah, based on the wording you stumbled across an old link prior to firmware and hardware changes as well as changes in the software. During beta testing I was getting 100 and even 170  through means no longer needed. They will power 170 max. At 170 you will want to turn the intensity down but as you can see in one of my videos below.

In the early days/ months/ years the software would not allow the user to build the pixie series controllers beyond 100 pixels per port. Referenced in my video below was the workaround. 2020 I believe that changed and now 170 pixels per port has been added to the software. 

PI sounds cool and all however it can create additional problems. If just using your house outline ect. you will be fine.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

As a new user last year, looking for answers to the same Light-O-Rama research questions as you...

The Pixie Controllers can address DATA for up to 170 Pixels Port..  This is not the same thing in certain regards to Powering those Pixels...

When you are Powering those Pixels, then you are referring to Volts, Amps, Watts on The Power Supply vs. the Power Load/Draw of the connected Pixels..

The formula is ( Volts x Amps = Watts ) - So if using 12 volts and a 4 Amp Fuse - then it is a max of 48 watts Per Port... You would calculate your Power Supply Output accordingly..

Then we address the Power Load - ( Watts Per Pixel x Number of Pixels Per Port) - if this exceeds the 48 Watts Max Per Port - then we have to Reduce something or we'll have issues...

Example > 170 Pixels @ .56 Watts = 95.2 Watt Draw < So we are now over the 48 Watt Max Load Spec...

We can either (1) reduce the Number of Pixels on that Port or (2) We can Reduce the "Dimming Curve" Intensity to 50% or below in that Prop's Definition or (3) Reduce the Intensity in the Controller Settings

I reduce the "Dimming Curve" (Intensity) in the Prop's Definition, so as the Intensity Follows the Prop and not the setting in the Controller...

Many folks will tell you 30% Intensity is Plenty Bright or more then Bright Enough for most Pixel Props...