Light-O-Rama Forums

Add projection mapping to my show?

Donl1150

Is it possible to do projection mapping in conjunction with an LOR light show?  My current LOR show uses four 16 AC channel controllers and four pixie controllers.  The show consists primarily of 6 singing faces (3 each AC & pixel) and 2 mega pixel trees, complimented by some house & landscape lighting.  This was my 8th year with LOR and my first using S5.  I run the show directly from a PC using ELL's for the AC controllers and a USB485HS dongle on an AUX network for the pixie controllers.

I live in a community with HOA restrictions which keep my props confined to the landscaping near the house.  Because of several bushy palm trees in the landscaping, projection lighting directly onto the house itself would likely not work.  However, the garage door would be a great spot to add projection lighting to the show.  This would tie together the props and landscape lighting currently on either side of the driveway.  

I envision the video that would project on the garage door would be related to the songs being sung by the 6 singing faces.  I just started learning about projection mapping and am wondering how (or if) this is even possible?  Has anyone done any work with this concept?  I would love to hear more about it.

Yes, LOR can send video to a display or projector - however that may not be what you are asking.  True projection mapping requires specialized software to create the video file or files.  However I would assume that the end result of that is just a plain video file (or multiple files).  If that is the case, then LOR could display a single video file.  That's about my limit on this subject.

Thanks Jim.  Here is a link to one of my songs this year.  As you can see, it is basically singing faces.  The 3 bulb face type are pixels (one is out of view from this angle), each with a pixie 8 and the 3 large ones on the ground are all driven with AC controllers.  The 2 trees of course are pixels with a pixie 16.   You can see the big dark space on the right is 2 garage doors.

I would like to add projection to the show on those 2 doors.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a video singing the song but I suppose it could be.  More likely though would be some complimentary moving scene(s) to go with a particular song.  It's hard to see the location of the props on the left but they are all in the landscaping which has 3 large drooping palms along with a tall bouganvillea bush.  All of those things preclude projecting on the house over there I am sure.

https://vimeo.com/659089935

I am aware of the special software needed for mapping and and considering Davinci Resolve.  Apparently there is a pretty powerful free version in addition to a paid professional version for about $300.  I know there are others out there as well that will do the mapping and projection also.  What I want to do is map/project the 2 garage doors to coincide with what my existing LOR AV & Pixel show is doing.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/studio