Light-O-Rama Forums

CBT16PC Gen2 - Signal to one channel lights 2 channels

Darrell

I have a Gen 2 controller that seems to be dupping a channel signal.  Using the Hardware Utility, if I turn on channel 8, both 8 and 11 turn on.  Same if I try to only turn on channel 11.  Both 8 and 11 always turn on.  I have reset the power to this controller but the fault remains.  Any other tests or fixes I can try?  I originally thought I had a channel config issue in the sequences but finally diagnosed it down to the hardware.

Start by very carefully visually inspecting the board for anything like corrosion, loose wires, obvious burn marks.  In other words, anything that does not look right.

In addition to what Jim said.

Is this a factory board (vs kit), in a factory case? (loose boards are easier to smear solder/traces)

The odd thing, is 2 banks are involved.  and the Binary Data is not even adjacent bits (1000 vs 1011)

But decoded traces could run next to each other, so use a brite light and magnifier  to look for corrosion.

An old toothbrush is great for cleaning lite debris away.

This was a factory board but with a kit.  I did the mounting into the cases and attached the pigtails but the board itself was factory done.  I'm tearing down everything today so once I have the controller free I will take a close look for corrosion.

52 minutes ago, Darrell said:

This was a factory board but with a kit.  I did the mounting into the cases and attached the pigtails but the board itself was factory done.  I'm tearing down everything today so once I have the controller free I will take a close look for corrosion.

Good news. That eliminates soldering issues (wrong type or cold joints). BTW I have 2 @ GEN3 that I bought that way. Saved a few $ plus I added a set of LOR network dongles before mounting the assembly

Following up - Don't know what caused the initial problem but it has seems to have fixed itself.  This was a 12 year old Gen 2 controller and I ran the tests 3 times and still got the same fault.  The only thing I failed to do while it was still hooked up in the display was to physically disconnect the power inputs.  Once the display was down and I re-tested this controller inside, I could not get the problem to repeat.  So bottom line - just like "hard rebooting a PC" to diagnose an issue, checking an AC controller needs to include a complete power disconnect and restart with enough time for all power to dissipate.