Light-O-Rama Forums

Davis Lights 2021 - My Christmas display (also with a spiral tree)

Darrell

After being dark in 2020 and losing 2 BIG trees in the front yard, I had to rework my Christmas display.  It's been fun getting back into Christmas lights!  Here's my Christmas display for 2021 -

Sandstorm by Durade - https://vimeo.com/662013694

Silent Night by Celtic Thunder - https://vimeo.com/662013880

Dueling Jingle Bells by US Navy Band - https://vimeo.com/662013537

Display stats:

10 LOR controllers (about 150 channels used) with all bushes and trees lit with 5 color LEDs
76 Channel Spiral Tree (16 channels each for R,G,B and bright White,2 for Warm White layer,10 for star on top)
16 string pixel tree with E682 controller
12 5-color mini-trees
LOR Version 4.4.16

PS.  I just saw Earle Talley's post with his spiral tree.  I built my spiral tree in 2012 after seeing his and other's posts with spiral trees.  They were pretty popular back then.  The spiral tree is the most work to put up but is so absolutely gorgeous when running - still my favorite fixture!

• Like 1

Darrell, your spiral tree is great, you're right about it being the most work but well worth it. My other videos  will be up later this week. I will say that your tree is a good match for mine.

I agree with @EARLE W. TALLEY - your spiral tree is fantastic! (I've got three in my display that aren't nearly so nice and they take me a full day to setup).  Pixel trees are nice and they can do some cool effects, but there's just something to the look of using more traditional bulbs.

8 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

I agree with @EARLE W. TALLEY - your spiral tree is fantastic! (I've got three in my display that aren't nearly so nice and they take me a full day to setup).  Pixel trees are nice and they can do some cool effects, but there's just something to the look of using more traditional bulbs.

Yes, i agree traditional mega trees are a lot more fun and IMO still look better than pixel trees. I had to retire mine, well made my decision after an accident that I posted in Earle's thread. Have missed it and my minis since that decision but sometimes you have to decide to make changes.

Op- great job.

All of the videos of late makes me think of building mini spirals based off Earles design.

Earles work has always been fantastic.

JR

@dibblejr - I saw your comments about your accident and understand about not wanting to risk more now.  My spiral tree is only 10' tall with the 2' Bethlehem Star on top.  I set that height based on getting 1 and 1/2 turns on a standard 100 bulb strand folded in half to increase the light density for each strand.  Also there are 16 steel cables for the guides/skin running down to the anchors and turn-buckles so that's 16 supporting guy wires.  The tree has NEVER even wobbled in the highest winds.  With a smaller tree (to fit a smaller yard), there's never been as much risk compared to the taller mega-trees some folks have and I only have to use a normal 6' ladder to get everything up and in place.