Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial commands to control a media player in order to sequence a video (Medea Sprite)

jmorrow1973

I am looking for a way to use the LOR software Pro version S5 (5.6.6 Pro) to trigger a serial command in order to tie in a Medea Sprite player to play videos of a song along with the lighting sequence.  I currently have two 16 channel standard controllers that I use to control over 14,000 LED lights (no RGB, just standard AC led light strings).

I can control which song is played on the Medea Sprite media player by using a standard USB to RS232 adapter (for me- com14) and sending a serial command in Windows Powershell as follows:

I have to initialize the serial connection first and one time (as long as the Powershell session is open) with this:

$port= new-Object System.IO.Ports.SerialPort COM14,9600,None,8,one

$port.open()

Then, as long as I leave powershell open I can send a single line of data to play what song I want:

$port.Write([char]6)

Each .mp4 video file is named according to number (ex: 006.mp4) and the serial command 6 plays song 6.

I see that Light o rama can have a Windows command start with a sequence, but this appears to be the standard dos window (not powershell- different animals)-

My question is this:  Besides using channels to control on/off relays which could also control the Sprite, has anyone successfully integrated serial commands in LOR to control a media player?

I am guessing there is a way to use DMX, just not sure how to do it.

Write a batch file that has the command for the Sprite for each song.  Then in LOR, use the Windows command to call up that batch file.  Song starts, and Windows runs the batch file.  Sending a text string over a serial port should be pretty easy.