Light-O-Rama Forums

New laptop, sequences load time and changes not happening faster

SnowmanMN

SUMMARY
I purchased a new laptop in Early December 2021 with the below listed specifications and was expecting that various sequence/preview actions (load, changes, etc.) would be much faster and they are not.  My older laptop is from 2016 and the times are not significantly different.

Really appreciate any advice anybody may have.

Opening/updating a sequence while Running LORSequencer.exe using the integrated Intel GPU or the NVIDIA GPU makes no difference in the 'time' for a sequence being fully available--preview has green checkmark and Sequence toolbar option not grayed-out.  I've forced LORSequencer.exe to run on each GPU as well as 'auto-select', no change.

I scoured this community forum for answers or options and couldn't find any.  Reviewed the "Glitch" and other threads who have similar effects and results.  I'm baffled.

Unexpected finding
        - Task Manager > Details 
            -- LORSequencer.exe is running in "Windows Vista" Operating System Context.

DETAILS
Excuse the amount of details, I'm an IT guy and know many factors may be involved.

Below is regarding opening of a sequence and it being fully available (preview finished processing--has green checkmark--and Sequence toolbar option not grayed-out.    Similar tests were done on making changes to a sequence.

Applications    
    - Light-O-Rama S5 Sequencer (64-bit), Version 5.6.8 Pro Edition with SS_80
        - Sequencer Preferences
            -- Preview:  Good Quality, Best Performance (tried "Better Quality", no difference)
            -- Split RGB Channels into R/G/B when sequence is opened:  Not checked
    - PC vendor drivers/apps (chipset, video, drive, audio, etc.)
    - MS Office 2016
    - 7Zip 

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (power plan @ Best Performance)
    - Tried with original installed OS.  Currently using a 'clean' installed version of the OS; no difference.
    - Drivers and Firmware:  All up-to-date (tried with OEM base setup and new OS, Driver/Firmware; no differences.
    - Was at Win 10 version 21H1 (OEM and clean install), now 21H2(clean install):  no difference in sequence performance between versions.
    - Tried associating LORSequencer.exe to the RTX GPU, no performance difference (Start > Settings > Display > Graphics Settings)

HARDWARE

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-11900H @ 2.50GHz (8 core)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (6GB GDDR6, set as primary GPU)
    - LORSequencer.exe associated to GPU in NVIDIA control panel; tried by itself and with OS associated too.
    - LORSequencer.exe is seen running on the GPU.  Also tried running it without using the RTX GPU, no difference.

Intel® UHD Graphics
    - Tried LORSequencer.exe associated to GPU in Intel control panel; tried by itself and with OS associated too, no difference.

OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 496.49

Laptop Monitor:  
    - Refresh 60Hz (current) or 165Hz; no difference    
    - Resolution
        Native:  2560 x 1600 (no difference)
            - Scale and Layout:  Tried 100% and 150%, no difference
        Adjusted to:  1920 x 1080 (no difference)
            - Scale and Layout:  100%, no difference

RAM:  24GB DDR4 3200

Drive:  1 TB M.2 NVME PCIe 3.0 SSD

Task Manager > Performance (during opening of a sequence in the various scenarios listed above)
    CPU:  30% or below
    RAM:  24% or below
    Disk: 4% or below (at 0% thru majority of the sequence being opened)
    GPU:  2% or below

Task Manager > Details 
    - LORSequencer.exe is running in "Windows Vista" Operating System Context.  Tried 'Windows 8' compatibility mode, but still runs in Vista.

Appreciate your help.  😀

-Bob

• Like 2