Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe Problem

J.D.

Hi folks,

Need some emergency help here. I've had my display up for a few days now and experimenting here and there (it's my first year). The LOR system is working predictably well. Today I installed about 34 strobes (about half the number I plan) and put them all on one channel (the rest will go on another channel - basically front and back of the yard). Anyway, tonight after it got dark, I fired up the strobe channel by itself. They all worked but I had eight to ten other channels aross the yard that also flickered. At first, I thought it was crosstalk since I had just bundled several cables including the LOR Cat-5 cable across a sidewalk. But after diagnosing the problem, the extra channels only flicker when the strobes are on. Anyone have a solution to this? I'd hate to lose my strobes. They really look nice...

J.D.

J.D. -

Have you tried replacing the strobes with a standard load of minis or C9s and verifying that the strobes are causing the problem? I would check this first to make sure there is not a problem with that channel, and not the strobes. I think I saw something similar to this problem recently in a thread here, but cannot locate it right now.

D.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to close out this problem. Someone on the PC forums suggested I try going from the LOR Controller dongle to a relay, that then controls when the strobes turn on and off (using a different power outlet). I went out last night and bought an $8.95 DPDT relay from Radio Shack, soldered a few plugs to it, and hooked everything up. Low and behold, it worked beautifully. No more crosstalk to other channels when the strobes flash.

J.D.

Standard curtain strobes or Pop Corn Strobes as me and some in the industry like to call them are normally 15w with 1-3fps. I am not sure what Darryls are rated at, probably pretty close from the videos of them I have seen. If that is the case then you are pushing close to 10 amps with 80 strobes.

I think I remember seeing somewhere his are only like 7-8w. If that is the case then you would be in the ballpark of about 5 amps with 80 which is probably a little more accurate since you are using them all on one channel.

What I've run into myself is that curtain strobes don't seem to be enough of a resistive load to make the controllers behave properly. If you plug even some minilights into the same circuit, a smaller batch of strobes will suddenly behave perfectly normal.

Since there's strobes going off, the minilights aren't very noticeable. ;)

I am running 10 curtain strobes from CLS.com and they have worked fine for 2 yrs now, they are always completely on or off no fades or twinkles or anything. i try to be very care no stray clicks are in the strobe channel or anything controlled via a relay on its channel. they would prob act quirky : )