Light-O-Rama Forums

What’s better LOR Pixie16 or AlphaPix?

Lightnewbie

Can't really compare as they are two totally different controllers. The Pixie16 is strictly LOR RS485 network and the Alphapix is strictly E1.31 network. For simplicity and cost the Pixie16 is the one, for more features and faster network the Alphapix is the one.  A closer comparison would be the Pixcon16 and the Alphapix.

Edited by Mr. P

I have an AlphaPix controller that works just fine. However, having said that, until they released the V5 firmware update, it was a pain. Now its less than a pain! Frankly, I prefer the Pixcon16 from LOR but it needs updating to the newer LED types now being produced.

I have a lot of pixies and 2 no longer used Apix's. 

Ease of use and the Mr. P answer of K.I.S.S. the pixie series controllers.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• 2 months later...

My preference has always been the Pixcon16.  I run 90% of my pixels using E1.31 network.  Cost can play a factor, as the pixie16 is cheaper, however, you can run the Pixcon16 on an Enhanced LOR network which will function very close to a Pixie16.   If you went with Pixcon16, you can keep it simple for now and later as you gain more knowledge, you can use some of the more advanced features without having to change controllers later.  I have an Alphapix 4 that I've used for about 6 years now, but I think I've had to replace the main chip at least 3 times now.  Other than that, it has suited me well.