Light-O-Rama Forums

Networking Issue - One Flood Powers off All the Lights

Indigo

My show has been running perfectly all month, then we had a big rain, and now on Christmas Eve, no lights come on when the show starts.

I traced it to one of two floods.  It is the last device in the network chain, and if it is connected to the network, all of the other lights shut off, and the controller lights ahead of it blink. If I disconnect it, all of the light work as usual and all of the controller lights are steady. 

I haven't tried resetting it yet as it is cold and dark outside (yes, I am a wimp).  Any other ideas?

Agree with Jim.

Water may have caused corrosion near the RJ45 contact, shorting the Data lines (pins 4+5).

NOTE the flood has 2 pairs RJ45 jacks PER . 1 is at the end of the dongle, the other is inside the flood.. As a test (unplug both from INSIDE and attach the CAT5 direct) if that works, you may have a bad dongle. Try using just 1 at a time (lucky you this is at the end, you only need 1 connected)

or near the RS485 driver chip.  (does not appear to be socketed in the documentation)

Best disconnect and get it indoors, with the back cover removed (and water drained), to reduce further damage. Don't lose the screws or gasket (I always put the screws loosely back in the body

I've had the 50w floods for four or five years now or whenever they first came out and I have had to replace all the ends on the connectors. Just know that the color code on the connectors are not the typical standard and if LOR doesn't have the connectors  you can get some on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anmbest-Waterproof-Connector-Ethernet-Outdoor/dp/B0818LMJC8/ref=pd_sbs_5/131-1939498-2853726?pd_rd_w=T7wFT&pf_rd_p=0a3ad226-8a77-4898-9a99-63ffeb1aef90&pf_rd_r=5SZX51WMQSCG2ZHDYDSK&pd_rd_r=9cd63094-69b8-4aa1-9c86-4cf177486442&pd_rd_wg=XSs1N&pd_rd_i=B0818LMJC8&psc=1

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I've had the 50w floods for four or five years now or whenever they first came out and I have had to replace all the ends on the connectors. Just know that the color code on the connectors are not the typical standard and if LOR doesn't have the connectors  you can get some on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anmbest-Waterproof-Connector-Ethernet-Outdoor/dp/B0818LMJC8/ref=pd_sbs_5/131-1939498-2853726?pd_rd_w=T7wFT&pf_rd_p=0a3ad226-8a77-4898-9a99-63ffeb1aef90&pf_rd_r=5SZX51WMQSCG2ZHDYDSK&pd_rd_r=9cd63094-69b8-4aa1-9c86-4cf177486442&pd_rd_wg=XSs1N&pd_rd_i=B0818LMJC8&psc=1

LOR sells their RJ45 dongles (I have them installed on ALL my controller boxes)   http://store.lightorama.com/rjwada.html Note: the design got better this year so the pieces are not interchangeable, but that does not matter since you get everything

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

LOR sells their RJ45 dongles (I have them installed on ALL my controller boxes)   http://store.lightorama.com/rjwada.html Note: the design got better this year so the pieces are not interchangeable, but that does not matter since you get everything

I use those on my pixie2's but on my other builds I use the type that secures to the enclosure. Either way I have always recommended them for peace of mind. If properly secured  you will never have to worry about a damaged RJ45 port.

JR

57 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I use those on my pixie2's but on my other builds I use the type that secures to the enclosure. Either way I have always recommended them for peace of mind. If properly secured  you will never have to worry about a damaged RJ45 port.

JR

They can be used either way. Bulkhead mount or as a pigtail.  

Here is a box I made that controls the power to the controller by using the previous controllers 10V (accessory) power on the CAT5 to operate the relay. It has the effect of staging the power up using a single timer on the first controller.   T->C1->C2->C3->...  The power to each controller (via the relay) can be supplied from different GFCI circuits

Note I bulkhead mounted the LOR dongle (input side) The whole box thing is water resistant

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i4Rq0HMi8JrbM70O_cT57iF-ereqJ5G6/view?usp=sharing

They can’t be 

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

They can be used either way. Bulkhead mount or as a pigtail.  

Here is a box I made that controls the power to the controller by using the previous controllers 10V (accessory) power on the CAT5 to operate the relay. It has the effect of staging the power up using a single timer on the first controller.   T->C1->C2->C3->...  The power to each controller (via the relay) can be supplied from different GFCI circuits

Note I bulkhead mounted the LOR dongle (input side) The whole box thing is water resistant

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i4Rq0HMi8JrbM70O_cT57iF-ereqJ5G6/view?usp=sharing

they can’t be used as a bulkhead mount in a pixie2 just no room.

they can be used as you do on other enclosures however I purchased mine  in bulk. 

I will probably never run out of my over stock. LOL I have a few hundred of the type I use in other builds.

JR

25 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

They can’t be 

they can’t be used as a bulkhead mount in a pixie2 just no room.

they can be used as you do on other enclosures however I purchased mine  in bulk. 

I will probably never run out of my over stock. LOL I have a few hundred of the type I use in other builds.

JR

I knew that, I was talking about CG1500 type cases (AC controllers (Gen 3. Gen 2 have space issues)