Light-O-Rama Forums

Marty’s Christmas in Cold Lake 2021

Marty Belisle

Couple of links to this years display. For all the songs search Marty’s Christmas in Cold Lake 2021 on YouTube. Videos were taken middle of December and we have since had 3’ of snow. Been a challenging year keeping the display blown off for viewing. Merry Christmas all, stay safe and healthy.

• Like 2

Looks great! I've been watching your show over the years, it's always great to see a fellow Albertan with a big pixel display haha.

By the way, what do you do if you ever have problems on the top half of your house? How do you access the roof safely with the snow? For me personally I tried tarps with mixed results and also ice melting salts. Right now Im just crossing my fingers and praying.

This year has been a challenge for sure, I have a tie off point at the top of my house and use an adjustable life line and harness whenever I access the roof.  The line goes up at the end of Sep and comes down in Jan when the display comes down. I leave the line where my ladder is placed so I can hook up my harness before I step on to the roof. Right now it is the extreme cold temps -35 c that is causing issues with some of my pixels. Mostly solder fails / cracks. Show only runs till the end of Dec so hoping I can limp it through. The joy of managing a display in Northern Alberta, lol. 

• Like 1

Looks great Marty.  I have 1 pixel acting up. Shooting out fast multiple colours. I also had 1 pixel stay on white ....but it did the colour change no issue. It now works right with no white staying on. Great to see some with all out pixels here. I am still old school AC channels with some smart pixels. Living in a small village (like 900 people) most have seen my musical display over the 14 year span. So numbers are down theses days. Glad to see you getting many viewers.

I may stop now & go static. Stop now while I have 2 back to back wins for best lights in 2020, and in 2021. They started a contest here again in 2020. That contest stopped back in 2005.

Great job.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, canadianchristmas said:

Looks great! I've been watching your show over the years, it's always great to see a fellow Albertan with a big pixel display haha.

By the way, what do you do if you ever have problems on the top half of your house? How do you access the roof safely with the snow? For me personally I tried tarps with mixed results and also ice melting salts. Right now Im just crossing my fingers and praying.

Where in Alberta are you? Near Edmonton?

Still looks great Marty.  You know I'm a lover of new tech and old mixed together.  Sadly I did not have a display this year and will be downsizing to a front of house only next season due to family health issues.