Light-O-Rama Forums

Using standalone mp3 director through Easy light linkers.

bigmur007

Hello all.

I am wondering if any one is using the standalone mp3 director through the easy light linkers. I would like to free up the computer at nights and have just ordered the mp3 director. I am currently running 96 channels through the easy light linkers but would like to mount the mp3 director in the garage so i can stay hooked to the fm broadcaster. is there any issues by running from the director into the linkers. trying to stay away from any long cable runs.

Thanks in advance.

thanks for the quick reply. do you know if i can even run out of the built in rs485 output on the director into the rs485b for the linkers or would this just replace it. the user guide for the director on lor website has been removed. might have to wait till monday and shoot lor an email

I've done a lot of what you are talking about, and I'm sure other members have done this also.

I suggest connecting a linker into the Director so the Director can transmit to your other controllers in yard. Keep that cat5 as short as possible (ideally under 6 feet) to prevent voltage drops since the Director is going to power the linker. Also try to keep the linkers at least 6 feet off the ground in order to get maximum range and reliabilility (it keeps the SWR low by preventing ground reflections. Even with a garage door between the Director and the controllers, you should get at least a 500 foot range if you do it right. I did this technique on a project in Texas last week and we were getting a range of 700 feet and it tested well out to 1,000 feet line-of-sight

Coming in to edit and add a comment....
For the controllers in the yard, put the linker at the end of a controller chain (unless you have a dedicated linker for each controller you plan to use.

Thanks Richard

I assumed this would work but though i better find out before they ship it. i am using a 3ft cord now from the computer to the linker. And the first 4 controllers are only about 20 ft away. The next 2 are about 20 ft from that. Show all works great now. Just looking to free up the computer. do you have any issues with the director having the rs485 adapter and the linkers using the 485b adapter.

bigmur007 wrote:

Thanks Richard
do you have any issues with the director having the rs485 adapter and the linkers using the 485b adapter.

I'm not sure what you mean. If I assume what you are asking... You connect the linker directly to the Director without use of the 485 adapter box. You only use the adapter box when you are connecting the Director or other controller to the computer directly because it converts USB to rs485. It serves no other purpose.