Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Problem - Unknown Device

GHopf

My show is unchanged for last 3 years. It was playing correctly but now is not correct on first three devices (sometimes part right and then nothing, etc.) and nothing on rest of the sequence.  Like the devices are sometimes getting correct data.  The hardware utility won't properly find the devices and returns a random number of devices.  I suspect a hardware problem or cable.    If the first three devices were always correct I would suspect the wire from device 3 to 4.  I will get a long cable tomorrow to bypass devices.    Hoping someone has fixed a similar problem, any direction on how to check and diagnose this problem?  Appreciate the help.

5.3.14pro  22 devices Most Pixie2

hardware.png

Electrical noise is a possible issue. Do not EVER lie the data (CAT5) along the power cords. Avoid close (<6") parallel runs with AC cords, for more than a few feet

Only the LAST device (Pixie) should / CAN be terminated (JP4),  Only 1 terminator per network

First step is to Isolate. Break up the group (unplug the CAT5) about midway.

Pass = the prob is in the disconnected group. Add back a few more controllers (~1/2 of them)

Repeat

Fail + in the first group. Split in half. Test

Check the Cat5 jacks in those controllers that are first in line that are failing, you may have a loose jack or jacks in any of those controllers, or even all of them, depending on how your strain-relief was set when you tied your cat5 cables down.   That can also cause some of what you are seeing in the HU.

And if you tied any of your Cat5 to any AC power cords {don't tie them to DC output cords or cables either}, I keep all my Cat5 cables routed as far away as possible, at least 6" at a minimum from any and all AC power cords or DC/AC output cables.   It's not easy, but if you have them too close or bundled with them, they can spur all kinds of erratic behavior with your display.

Cat5 and or Data ports or extension cords.

I helped a guy that had 17 unknown devices as well as ghost devices (devices he doesn’t even have) in his HU.

We painstakingly went through beginning to end and he found a cut data cable, bad extension cord and a bad port.

He placed the controller at the end of the line, changed the data cable and extension cord and all was fixed

JR

Thanks for all input.  I worked the suggestions above by disconnecting devices and fairly quickly got to the point where the first 3 devices functioned properly.  So then it's either the device 4 or the leading ethernet cable.  Turned out to be the leading ethernet cable.  Replaced that cable and it worked immediately.  (for future readers, I did also use an ethernet coupler to bypass device 4 first, same failed result)

I did separate all my data and power wires, which were on top of each other.  Thanks again for help with it.

• The topic was locked