Hardware Confusion

wiechmannwinter

We are setting up our light show for the first time today and we're getting everything plugged in. Right now we have Unit 01 and 03 plugged in with all the lights plugged in. Unit 01 is attached to the RS485 Adapter using a CAT5e LAN cable in the middle jack of the box. Unit 03 is attachted to the other output on the RS485 Adapter. In my sequences I have all the channle IDs correct such as "Unit 03 Channle 1" however I'm still having problems with the lights turning on correctly.

When ever I play a song Unit 03 Circut 1 turns on whenver Unit 01 Circut 1 does. Did I miss a step with the setup?

I'm new to this so I'm totally confused.
:?.

What controller do you have?

Sounds like both controllers have the same ID.

What do you show in the Hardware utility with just these 2 connected? Do you only find one controller or do you find 2.

Note you cannot have the hardware utility open at the same time you have the sequence editor or show running.

Chuck

you have 2 controllers show up when you run the hardware utility?

What happens if you select unit 1 and then select all and on. Does only unit 1 lights light?

Repeat the above for unit 3 in the hardware utililty.

If the above works and the respective lights light per the controller, then it is your sequence that does not have the channels configured correctly.

Chuck

I think Mountainwxman hit the nail on the head. You probably forgot to set the right most white dial inside your controller to unit 3. The symptom you gave indicates you have both boxes set to unit one.

I hope you powered off and then on again after you set the switch.

wiechmannwinter wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
I hope you powered off and then on again after you set the switch.

I guess that's why they call people like me "noobs"!
That did the trick... Thanks!
;).

Well, it REALLY helps to have a perfectly stated problem like you did. Some folks will post some of the most odd things like "Please Help, controller doesn't work". There is practically no way to troubleshoot a problem with a statement like that. When people post very precise details such as you did, and use a subject that is descriptive, then troublshooting is easier and faster... often on the first try.

Glad you got it going. Cheers.