Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR compatible DIO boards

Guest guest

Can anyone tell me - is it ONLY Measurement Computing boards that are compatible with LOR?
I know that it has to run with Universal Library Runtime that comes with InstaCal to work with LOR. Is it that cut and dried?

Are there other boards from other makers that WILL work (NI PCI-DIO96?).

Look forward to the replies.

If it does not work with Instacal it will not work with LOR. PCI cards from other manufactures have little chance of working. With ISA you have a chance but ISA is fading away....

I've actually begun to hoard a few ISA motherboards as backups for my show machine which contains a DO-192H board in ISA format. They can be had pretty cheap.

LOR is very forgiving when it comes to a lack of processor power when running in show mode, so you dont have to have a work horse. In fact, my show machine is an AMD K2-500 without a monitor, keyboard or mouse. I'm running (monitoring) the system via a CAT5 NIC connection and VNC. Works like a champ!!

-- Bob

Thanks Bob and Dan for the quick reply - little point in watching that cheap NI board on Ebay then.

And he was prepared to ship to NZ also . . . drat!

John,

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you do a little more research on compatibility before you write it off. Just a quick glance suggests that there is a possibility that the N.I. might work.

Both the N.I and the Measurement Computing board use the 82C55 chip. Also if you look at the Measurement Computing site you can find several articles about using the MC boards with LabView, which is the N.I. software. Looking at what it does, it uses the Universal Lib in the interface. The reference to the U.L. turns on the Big Giant Lightbulb of compatibility. :]

Results would be an excellent addition to the LOR WIKI. If I can pick up one cheap enough, it might be worth the price of testing it out.

-- Bob

Hi Bob

Yes, I was watching one on Ebay that went for $37 off dollars. I emailed NI and got a response, including a link to their forum where this question was asked:

Can anyone tell me if the older NI cards like the PC-DIO-96/PnP PCI 48 will work with Instacal drivers?

The reply from, to quote NI "He is an expert in NI products and can try out competitive products as well" was :

The Instacal drivers would not work with any of the NI hardware as the driver uses a different API architecture than what is required by the hardware.

Regards,
Application Engineer NI

However, I like you noticed that both used the 82C55 and thought "why wouldn't it work? If I see another one offered I will PM you . . .

Now, another BIG question to ANYONE. Lots of times I/we/anyone outside of the States are interested in purchasing stuff from the USA, BUT the seller either won't ship at all or has INFLATED shipping rates OR enormous min $ orders outside of the US. Is anyone prepared to act as a stateside mailing address for myself?

Dont all rush me! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,make that 2 people looking for someone who can ship from USA to overseas...lol...all those bargains i have missed on ebay because they wont ship to Aussie

Hi Synnie - why do you reckon they won't ship outside USA? I have my thoughts, but I would love to hear yours, and also from the firms that will and will not ship . . .

Or is it because they don't know where we are? I didn't think you would have this troublr across "the ditch" but even I learn somethinh everyday. LOL

BTW, it took a little while to put it all together - will replay to your email tonite!

the ones i find on ebay probably cant be bothered shipping to aussie because its too hard...cant see why ...or they not interested because they think it wont work when it gets here,my ideas...lol

Np...im away till 2morrow nite so ill get it then...works a bitch

I have a PnP PCI 48 from NI and have not been able to get it to work with the Insatcal drivers. I have been able to get other boards like the BSOFT boards to work with a little help from a few folks here but the NI PCI board does not want to play.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Fazgood wrote:

I have a PnP PCI 48 from NI and have not been able to get it to work with the Insatcal drivers. I have been able to get other boards like the BSOFT boards to work with a little help from a few folks here but the NI PCI board does not want to play.

Joe

I made a NI pnp isa dio96 run with LOR last year for a friend here in BC, that being said :) I am having a hard time remebering EXACTLY what I had to do to get it to work! I can tell you that the NI software suite was required, and (I think) had to turn off the use of the cards IRQ handler under windoze xp and manually assign it a hex address that corrisponded with what LOR could use. instacal still could not see it but it would run under LOR.

............. NOW for the disclaimer LOL .................:shock:

I cannot be responsible for wasted effort and or $$$ for the attempt to use one of these cards, Dan does not recommend them and they are not supported, I am a never say die kind of guy and spent many many hours poking this card to make it work. My recommendation >>>> BUY LOR or if you really want DIO get a meausurement computing card off ebay they install no problems.

For the record I run DIO 96 and a DO48 (output only) (meausurment comp cards) and 4 LOR boards and love the whole setup.:cool:

Good luck to any that try cause YOUR GONNA NEED IT !!!!

Dean