Light-O-Rama Forums

Dimming curves for pixels and AC LED's

Donl1150

I have several singing faces that use pixels and I also have 3 singing faces which were originally incans.  I created my preview for the display with the pixels at a 30% dimming curve but the AC props were all at 100%.  Several days after the show started, I changed out some of the incans on the AC props - changed them to dumb LED's.  Now the whites are WAY too bright.  Can I just go into the preview and change the dimming curve for them to something less than 100% and that will take care of the problem?  OR.....in addition to that, do I have to open each sequence with the new dimming curve and then re-save each sequence?  Thanks

If your controllers are Gen 3, you can set a dimming curve in the controller.

Under no circumstances do you want to change the sequencing - you would have to do it for every sequence, and potentially for hundreds or thousands of effects per song.

• 3 months later...

I'm using S5. If I change the dimming curve for a prop in the preview editor, and my sequence has that prop at 50%, will the show player automatically change the intensity to something else based on that dimming curve before the intensity gets sent on the network? If it actually works this way, then this could be very helpful for AC LEDs.

The dimming curves don't work for me. I edited a channel in my preview and selected a dimming curve. I then played the sequence, but the intensity of the light was the same as when I had selected "None" as the dimming curve. As an extreme test, I selected "StrobeCurve" as the dimming curve for that channel. This should put the light at 100% when turned to 100 and be off for anything else. It had no effect. In my sequence, I set the channel to 50%, but it still lit at the same 50% as before. When I changed the Dimming Curve to LinearCurve 30%, it was just as bright as "None".

I tried playing the sequence from both the Sequencer and the Show Player, but both seem to ignore the dimming curve.

The help file says: "You do not want to have dimming curves enabled in both software and in the controller."  Fair enough. These are Gen 1 controllers, so I can't enable dimming curves in the controller anyway. It also says: "This setting allows you to apply a dimming curve in software, for controllers that do not have the capability ..." But how do I enable dimming curves in the software? Simply selecting a dimming curve in the Preview is not working for me.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

The dimming curves don't work for me. I edited a channel in my preview and selected a dimming curve. I then played the sequence, but the intensity of the light was the same as when I had selected "None" as the dimming curve.

Are you referring to them not having an effect when played on the computer screen or on the actual lights?

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Are you referring to them not having an effect when played on the computer screen or on the actual lights?

I am referring to the actual lights. I am not expecting the representation on the computer screen to change.

Here's a short video of my test. I am expecting the string set to "LinearCurve 30%" to be dimmer, but it isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, MattBrown said:

This will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for letting us know.

Now that the next release is in Beta, I assume this is fixed. (I don't have any hardware plugged into a computer with S6 yet, but I'll do that this weekend.)

In the Light-O-Rama Control Panel, in the "Test Lights" menu item, does the "Test Preview" tab use the software dimming curves defined in the selected Preview?

• 4 months later...

Matt......so are you implying the dimming curves don't work at all in S5, either when changed in the Preview or the Controller?  But the problem is fixed in S6?

The hardware (or firmware) dimming curves (on the controller) have always worked (on the newer controllers that support them).

Software dimming curves (in the Preview) never worked in S5, and my tests above showed they didn't work in S6 until a version released after Matt's post.

thx Steven.  I guess I'll go into the controllers and change them there.  Less work too since I have several different Previews in use.

Steven, I am hoping you can help me out.  I am trying to dim the output of the lights on one circuit of my gen3 AC controller.  It has white LED lights and they are way too bright for the sequence.   I read through the manual but am not exactly clear on what I need to do.  Am I correct that nothing needs to change in the General Configuration area of the first screenshot?

On the second screenshot, I changed CH09 to Dim Curve01 and then also tried it at the max of Dim Curve09.  There did not seem to be any difference in the intensity of the LED’s.  Do I also have to change the Dimming Curve in the Prop Definition in my Preview?  (I am currently running S5).

Screenshot 2022-11-17 054207.png

Screenshot 2022-11-17 054432.png

Edited by Donl1150

Don, you'll have to have someone else give you more detailed information because I don't have any G3 AC controllers, or any controllers that have dimming curves in firmware.

However, knowing how the rest of the LOR system works, I would assume that you should check the box to the right of CH09 and then press the "Update Unit's Config" button. Did you do that?

I haven't read the G3 documentation in detail, but do you have to power-cycle the unit after changing a dimming curve? I don't know.

I don't know what "Dim Curve01" is, only that it looks like a curve that is built into the G3 unit. The dimming curves that are shipped with the LOR software have more identifiable names  that end with something like "...30%", which indicates that when you send a 100% brightness in your sequence, you'll get 30% at the light, an if you have a 50% brightness in your sequence, it will end up with 15%. You can load one of these curves to your unit by changing the curve file location to where the curve files actually are (something like ...\Light-O-Rama\Plugins\DimmingCurves). Then you can download the curve file to the unit, and then select it for a channel.

curve01 is shipped with S4 (as a sample?) G3 also has On/OFF and LED built in

I vaguely (I might be wrong on this) remember being able to set max brightness AT THE PORT LEVEL (that one bit me on 2 ports of On/OFF feeding my M5 strobes