Light-O-Rama Forums

Netgear Switch

Timothy

Anyone familiar with Netgear switches? I have one with POE but the ports are not powering up to power up my PI player. Is there a setting somewhere I need to set to have the port provide POE power? Thanks in advance!

Never dealt with a Netgear switch, but most likely yes, you have to enable PoE.  Also, is the PoE compatible with whatever PoE-Hat you have for your Pi?  There are multiple flavors of PoE.

I need to install a PoE-hat on the Pi-4 I have? I've looked everywhere for the enabling of the PoE but the manual isn't very clear on how to enable it.

Edited by Timothy

Yes.  As far as I know, none of the RasPi computers have PoE built in.  You need to add a Hat to get PoE capability.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes.  As far as I know, none of the RasPi computers have PoE built in.  You need to add a Hat to get PoE capability.

Looking closer, it indeed needs a hat. I think I'll just solder in power off the P/S and call it a day.

So many small 4 and 8 port switches that have PoE or Poe+ will be dumb switches that don't have any way to turn off or on the PoE function. If it was $30 or so this is likely what you have. Also an 8 port low-end switch probably only has power on 4 ports - look for the symbols. Now if you are running Ubiquiti Unifi or another Prosumer brand or Enterprise gear then there is often a need to use the controller software or web interface to enable PoE on the port (I've seen this on Unifi passthrough devices). 

As was mentioned if your device requires 802.3af (PoE 15 watts) then any 'ol PoE switch or injector should be fine, but a device needing 803.at (PoE+ 25 watts) will not likely work from a PoE only device. 

If you can post the model of Netgear I'd be happy to help - used to be a Netgear Authorized Reseller.

5 minutes ago, LaughsBrightly said:

So many small 4 and 8 port switches that have PoE or Poe+ will be dumb switches that don't have any way to turn off or on the PoE function. If it was $30 or so this is likely what you have. Also an 8 port low-end switch probably only has power on 4 ports - look for the symbols. Now if you are running Ubiquiti Unifi or another Prosumer brand or Enterprise gear then there is often a need to use the controller software or web interface to enable PoE on the port (I've seen this on Unifi passthrough devices). 

As was mentioned if your device requires 802.3af (PoE 15 watts) then any 'ol PoE switch or injector should be fine, but a device needing 803.at (PoE+ 25 watts) will not likely work from a PoE only device. 

If you can post the model of Netgear I'd be happy to help - used to be a Netgear Authorized Reseller.

Lucky me that you are a reseller! It isn't a $30 model, I typically don't buy cheap stuff. It is the GS108PEv3.

Edited by Timothy

10 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Looking closer, it indeed needs a hat. I think I'll just solder in power off the P/S and call it a day.

Why not just use the intended USB-C connector for power?  Cut a cable and connect the power wires to your power supply.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Why not just use the intended USB-C connector for power?  Cut a cable and connect the power wires to your power supply.

That's exactly what I was planning. Going to solder in the power to the wires I have running right next to it for one of the panels where I have it mounted. I like short runs on small wires.

11 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Lucky me that you are a reseller! It isn't a $30 model, I typically don't buy cheap stuff. It is the GS108PEv3.

For future users searching: This is a smart switch so there will be a web-based interface, although PoE should be on. This is an 8-port switch, but only 4 of the ports support PoE (yellow labeled on the left ports 1-4) and provides the max 15 watts per port of standard PoE.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Make sure to fuse it. 

I appreciate the word of advice. Just an FYI,  I was an Electronics Technician(Nuclear) in the US Navy for 22 years and am very aware of electronics and power systems.

10 minutes ago, LaughsBrightly said:

For future users searching: This is a smart switch so there will be a web-based interface, although PoE should be on. This is an 8-port switch, but only 4 of the ports support PoE (yellow labeled on the left ports 1-4) and provides the max 15 watts per port of standard PoE.

Yes, I was attached to the left ports, however it seems to look like I need a hat for POE to work. Doesn't make sense in my mind but  makes for a poor design on raspberry's part that I need to get a hat for it to work when I could have a POE switch that powers it. Although the hat will give me another ethernet connection over to the color light card that I have....

Edited by Timothy

51 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Doesn't make sense in my mind but  makes for a poor design on raspberry's part that I need to get a hat for it to work when I could have a POE switch that powers it. Although the hat will give me another ethernet connection over to the color light card that I have....

If you are going to run a ColorLight, note that it MUST be a 1Gig port (even though it is NO WHERE NEAR that much data).  Most of us that have use a RasPi with a ColorLight use a USB to GegE adapter.  I don't really understand why you are so dead set on using PoE when you have many amps of 5V and fuse distribution within inches of the Pi with the matrix panel.

As for why they don't offer PoE on any of the RasPis, it's likely that most users don't need that feature and it would only make them more expensive for everyone.

I was going to link to a POE Splitter I used with my weather station, and when I got to the (Amazon) site, it listed PI Hat

I have also used Netgear POE (dumb) Switches with great results. As noted, they all are 50% POE, 50% regular.

The ports status lights will indicate if overload protected.

18 hours ago, Timothy said:

I appreciate the word of advice. Just an FYI,  I was an Electronics Technician(Nuclear) in the US Navy for 22 years and am very aware of electronics and power systems.

HAHAHA  ETs don't know power systems... let power to the EMs :)  I was a nuke when we didn't need the Nuclear after our rate, and wore prison uniform. LMAO 

19 minutes ago, prevue12 said:

HAHAHA  ETs don't know power systems... let power to the EMs :)  I was a nuke when we didn't need the Nuclear after our rate, and wore prison uniform. LMAO 

Really! My AN/SPS-30 had 2 @ 100A 440V 3 phase inputs (1 of those was just for the 12KV Klystron power supply).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Really! My AN/SPS-30 had 2 @ 100A 440V 3 phase inputs (1 of those was just for the 12KV Klystron power supply).

I don't want to hijack this anymore than I did, but only 100 amps and only at 440V?  The generators on the ship I was on had MEGAWATTs in the specs, even the back up EDGs.   😘

POE doe allow for data transmission correct? Also, when adding in a new network switch, is there any other setting that I need to adjust. In my mind it should find the Pixcon and the P5 panel regardless of the switch's IP address but I'm no networking guru by any means.

Edited by Timothy