Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini show director to a residential controller and pixie 4?

dragon8824 lights

1 hour ago, Yodlei said:

It's too much money to be left in a cold garage but for the house projection, it would only be outside if weather permits & while I'm out there as well.

My opinion here..  You really should design your show so that for all practical purposes, it runs regardless of you being there, or as much as possible weather.  People who come to see your show, want to see your show - not sometimes you have your show running, and sometimes it's not..

10 hours ago, Yodlei said:

Lightzilla First, never heard of Kutless & really liked that song. This just took me backwards again since it seems you were able to do what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for anything too fancy & assume it's because it was kept at minimal colors & commands??

On the right of the AC 24 channel tree is a 16 x 25 Pixel tree. On the left is a 6x50 Pixel Tree. The lights behind the 3 tree are pixel lights. The 3 arches & the Ginger Bread man are Pixels too. So whether people think it is possible or not to use a mini mp3 director to run an older, & newer AC channels, & pixel lights (I used an older mini director just to see) and it worked. The video proves that. I am guessing that because my display is close together, that the signals trough the cat 5 cable is stronger. Perhaps if the pixel trees were further out then the signals might be weaker. Plus what you said to "I.... assume it's because it was kept at minimal colors & commands??". Most of the times the Pixels on the peak were at 100% brightness, the Pixels on the windows & trees were around 50%- 60%. Even in 2020 if you go to my YT channel (via posted video) you will see the 3 pixel arches, & that year an 8x25 pixel tree. Again ran on my bigger director but only at 57.6. <--<< Again I was just testing to see what would happen and it worked.....so I kept it that way in 2020. Oh & I have my director unit in the house. So if it is impossible to run all that I did on 1 network (on a mini director unit) then I am glad the impossible was possible for me. I will post more videos if I ever get time to edit them. I made 1 long video so I want to split them up like I did with Kutless. I was sequencing for another person & they wanted that song by Kutless & when I heard it I sequenced it for my house too.

Edited by lightzilla

I realize Chicago area gets cold, but if you leave it on (no sleep either), it will generate enough heat.  The big issue, is bringing a cold soaked PC into the Warm and powering it up (HD do not like this one bit),  SSD are now under $100. Clone your HD onto that and store the HD

1 hour ago, lightzilla said:

On the right of the AC 24 channel tree is a 16 x 25 Pixel tree. On the left is a 6x50 Pixel Tree. The lights behind the 3 tree are pixel lights. The 3 arches & the Ginger Bread man are Pixels too. So whether people think it is possible or not to use a mini mp3 director to run an older, & newer AC channels, & pixel lights (I used an older mini director just to see) and it worked. The video proves that. I am guessing that because my display is close together, that the signals trough the cat 5 cable is stronger. Perhaps if the pixel trees were further out then the signals might be weaker. Plus what you said to "I.... assume it's because it was kept at minimal colors & commands??". Most of the times the Pixels on the peak were at 100% brightness, the Pixels on the windows & trees were around 50%- 60%. Even in 2020 if you go to my YT channel (via posted video) you will see the 3 pixel arches, & that year an 8x25 pixel tree. Again ran on my bigger director but only at 57.6. <--<< Again I was just testing to see what would happen and it worked.....so I kept it that way in 2020. Oh & I have my director unit in the house. So if it is impossible to run all that I did on 1 network (on a mini director unit) then I am glad the impossible was possible for me. I will post more videos if I ever get time to edit them. I made 1 long video so I want to split them up like I did with Kutless. I was sequencing for another person & they wanted that song by Kutless & when I heard it I sequenced it for my house too.

Found you on YouTube so I apologize you had to type all that again but you did add some stuff that wasn't on there like the percentages. Thx much!!

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I realize Chicago area gets cold, but if you leave it on (no sleep either), it will generate enough heat.  The big issue, is bringing a cold soaked PC into the Warm and powering it up (HD do not like this one bit),  SSD are now under $100. Clone your HD onto that and store the HD

I have read that before about leaving it on but I wouldn't chance it. I've have the heater for the garage but haven't had it installed yet. If I was able to run my house projection & controllers off the laptop, it wouldn't be when it's too extreme out & once brought in, it would be off & not used until room temp. I actually hate laptops & especially Win10 & only bought it to do my house projection & my taxes.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

My opinion here..  You really should design your show so that for all practical purposes, it runs regardless of you being there, or as much as possible weather.  People who come to see your show, want to see your show - not sometimes you have your show running, and sometimes it's not..

I laughed when I read this....if you could only see where I live. Small Subd with 3 streets out in the country surrounded by warehouses. Lucky if 2 people drive by a night although I live off a major highway. I get most of my traffic for Halloween & then it's still not that much since trick or treat hours are over before dark. Family & a few friends stop since they know I decorate & have a lot of animatronics. Static stuff is up from dusk to dawn on timers & had 1 16 channel controller run 11 string light trees pre-programmed via the TSO card on it. Nice I didn't have to do a think for a couple of weeks until the big snow came & pulled the controller & director/transmitter & decorations inside before it did.

Lots of money & work for the very few who would see it but I like seeing it myself & definitely get your point. That's why a director would suit my needs better than worrying about leaving a computer on & won't go as big as the majority on here do. If I knew about this when I was 30 years younger, I would've been in big trouble. Live on an acre so I could do some major damage.

I only use the directors to run my show. Have used it for many years. Upgraded last year to a N4-G4-MP3 (4 networks). No issues. Easy to just change out SD card.

Running AC controllers, ccrs, dumb rgb, pixies and pixcon16s. All on enhanced network (500k and 1,000k) at 30% intensity on pixels. No power injection. My opinion.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked