Super Star Feature Request

dgrant

Since we are seeing greater counts of pixels per meter or 5-meter, nodes, strips and etc...it would be really nice to find a fast and simple way to convert/scale an existing SUP file to work with the new parameters without having to re-program the entire SUP file. I've been told by Brian that its already possible but its darn near impossible to make it happen and end up with the desired result. The scale function does what it says but the grid doesn't appear to change therefore the displayed pixels don't all appear, nor play back. I'm just thinking a simpler way to accomplish this is needed. This way, we aren't losing all of the SUP file usage we've already created or purchased.

Also, if an SUP file gets lost, it would be nice to be able to recreate it via the already exported LMS file data that was created from the original SUP file.

Also, it "appears" that the max pixel count is 170 in SS. That would need to change for the greatly increasing number of pixels per universe or whatever. I'm hoping to alter from 30/m to 60/m, difference between 150 channels and 300 channels/pixels.

Scale works really well.  The grid change would be in your S5 Preview.  So for example what I just did a few days ago.  I bought a SuperStar sequence that is 12 x 50.  My tree is 26 x 100.  Create a new sequence in Sequencer using a preview that has the tree correctly at 26 x 100.  Select a motion effects row that has the tree in it (or in my case, all most my entire display).  Hit R so it selects the entire row, and then [Shift-S] to Insert SuperStar Effects.  Once SuperStar opens, Menu > Open and open the purchased sequence.  Then Select all effects using [Right click] drag all layers, and select "Select all".  Then Menu > Tools > Move or Scale Selected Effects.  Select all types, and Scale and then give the source and target number of pixels.  It will warn you that you can't undo.

Yes, you will likely have to clean a few things up.  For example part of the song I was working on was a bouncing dot that was bouncing off the edges of the tree.  Each time it bounced, there was a flash in a line on the outer pixel of the tree.  When it scaled, that single line flash became a two or three line bar.  I had to modify a pile of scenes to make it back into a single line.

You can see the effect at about the one minute mark on this video.

Then Select all effects using [Right click] drag all layers, and select "Select all"

That's where it I lose it and probably the issue I'm having. Edit, Select All, no problem, but right click and drag layers???

It would be nice if Brian automated this process because if I'm not finding it, others with less experience than I will have even larger issues

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

That's where it I lose it and probably the issue I'm having. Edit, Select All, no problem, but right click and drag layers???

Standard Windows select multiple lines (like in a spreadsheet, word processor).  Couldn't come up with a better wording.

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Standard Windows select multiple lines (like in a spreadsheet, word processor).  Couldn't come up with a better wording.

Multi-select.  2 forms 1st select, Shift-click the last (select range) or 1st select, Ctrl-click each additional. Has been a standard for Windows and Linux (I don't do MAC) for as long as I can remember

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up, I found that after selecting "all" in the edit pulldown, then selecting the entire length of the time bar, then scaling the effects, it worked. Still an issue when the CCR License count when it comes to pixels/channels. Thank You Jim.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:05 AM, dgrant said:

Just to follow up, I found that after selecting "all" in the edit pulldown, then selecting the entire length of the time bar, then scaling the effects, it worked. Still an issue when the CCR License count when it comes to pixels/channels. Thank You Jim.

What’s the issue with license count? On the SuperStar upgrade or add on it explains how it works.

1 CCR = 1 x 50 pixel string/ ribbon. If you have a 100 string you would need 2 ccrs so on and so forth.

JR

I’m going to use 300 pixels per strip therefore I’d have to upgrade my current 60 CCR to 160 in order to get the required channel count. Costs another $130 just to use the software that I already have invested in. 

Understand, I upgraded mine from 24,000 to 48,000 channels.  That will let me sequence my P5 matrix (largest single item).

And that upgrade is $100.00

Edited by k6ccc

14 minutes ago, dgrant said:

I’m going to use 300 pixels per strip therefore I’d have to upgrade my current 60 CCR to 160 in order to get the required channel count. Costs another $130 just to use the software that I already have invested in. 

Its still a lot more affordable than when some of us first purchased it. I havent used it much since S5. I use it for my circles and to resize some props but thats about it these days.

JR

My only requirement is to re-scale existing SUP files and export to LMS. Plus, if I purchase any additional sequences, those too will need to be converted. Primarily, my largest useage is my Matrix, which I'm going to build a new one, 24x300 therefore 21,600 channels. If LOR doesn't increase the capability of the Pixcon16's, then I'll have to acquire a Falcon controller(s). I'm probably going to build a new Pixel tree and scale up from 16x50 to 16x300 or possibly even 24x300. Not sure yet on that, but if so, another Falcon for it too. As for the SS license, seems ridiculous to have the different levels. Once SS is purchased, it should be wide open for the capabilities of the code. I don't mind LOR getting their $ but seems like a bit of overkill for something that doesn't require a new build. Although....I saw within SS there's lots of things that need updating for those of us using or planning on using it to its true potential. Like the max 170 pixels per strip/string settings and so on. Altering the CCR expectation to CCR or E1.31 types because who can afford lets say 320 CCR's at approx $250 each last I looked. That's $80,000 or higher...ouch and a half! I don't know about everyone else here but I can't afford that or even remotely close. LOL, maybe I'll break down and just write my own code.

11 hours ago, dgrant said:

My only requirement is to re-scale existing SUP files and export to LMS. Plus, if I purchase any additional sequences, those too will need to be converted. Primarily, my largest useage is my Matrix, which I'm going to build a new one, 24x300 therefore 21,600 channels. If LOR doesn't increase the capability of the Pixcon16's, then I'll have to acquire a Falcon controller(s). I'm probably going to build a new Pixel tree and scale up from 16x50 to 16x300 or possibly even 24x300. Not sure yet on that, but if so, another Falcon for it too. As for the SS license, seems ridiculous to have the different levels. Once SS is purchased, it should be wide open for the capabilities of the code. I don't mind LOR getting their $ but seems like a bit of overkill for something that doesn't require a new build. Although....I saw within SS there's lots of things that need updating for those of us using or planning on using it to its true potential. Like the max 170 pixels per strip/string settings and so on. Altering the CCR expectation to CCR or E1.31 types because who can afford lets say 320 CCR's at approx $250 each last I looked. That's $80,000 or higher...ouch and a half! I don't know about everyone else here but I can't afford that or even remotely close. LOL, maybe I'll break down and just write my own code.

SS is an "add on". You can purchase "as needed". Not quite sure where your $80K value comes from.  I don't know where you get the $250 per CCR.  It's $399.95 for 320 CCRs

In other words you can pay $400 for SS and use the 320 CCRS to your hearts content. Reading your posts you would assume everyone would want to pay $400 for an Add On even if they needed just 16 CCRs. Your exact words " Once SS is purchased, it should be wide open for the capabilities of the code." It will be - the code limitation of 320 CCRs.

Edited by dibblejr

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Not quite sure where your $80K value comes from.  I don't know where you get the $250 per CCR.  It's $399.95 for 320 CCRs

He was referring to $80K for 320 CCRs - not the SuperStar license to sequence that many.  That is at the price for the original CCRs.

Sorry for the complaints. Yes, Jim is correct in that I was simple calculating the cost of an actual CCR, last time I looked, times 320, equals $80K. I know software pretty well and he/they have numerous data arrays built into the code to handle the necessaties. Then simply put, the "indexes" the group needed, usually top down in the array structure based upon the license count that's burried somewhere in the code and a readable area such as a file or the registry. So, the code is already completed but not being allowed to be used fully for the obvious monetary purposes. "dibblejr" is correct too that if I just paid the full amount upfront, then no problem. But, adding the full costs upfront for the LOR Suite at the level most of us need, then having to tack on another huge cost to get more to work....where does it end. Oh, not forgetting the renewal fees each year. Yes, they have a business to run and people to pay so the money has to continue to flow in and this is just one of those ways of insuring that. Yes, we are free to switch to other forms of software if we wish. I'd rather stick with LOR though but its becoming increasingly cost prohibitive for us on less incomes.

The USPS charges the same to mail a letter no matter how far!       But it seems many things are a percentage or in a proportion to how much they are used.  Venmo and CC cards.   At my computer job some software charges by how much data passed thru it.  No connection at all to the hardware we have on site to run it. 

At regular price, LOR ribbons of 50 are $75 each including the controller.  http://store.lightorama.com/16ritrpico.html 

Bullet and square $63 and Bulb $100 for 100 pixels.   For 320 CCRs of 50 that is  $24k, 10k  & 16k 

7 hours ago, dgrant said:

Sorry for the complaints. Yes, Jim is correct in that I was simple calculating the cost of an actual CCR, last time I looked, times 320, equals $80K. I know software pretty well and he/they have numerous data arrays built into the code to handle the necessaties. Then simply put, the "indexes" the group needed, usually top down in the array structure based upon the license count that's burried somewhere in the code and a readable area such as a file or the registry. So, the code is already completed but not being allowed to be used fully for the obvious monetary purposes. "dibblejr" is correct too that if I just paid the full amount upfront, then no problem. But, adding the full costs upfront for the LOR Suite at the level most of us need, then having to tack on another huge cost to get more to work....where does it end. Oh, not forgetting the renewal fees each year. Yes, they have a business to run and people to pay so the money has to continue to flow in and this is just one of those ways of insuring that. Yes, we are free to switch to other forms of software if we wish. I'd rather stick with LOR though but its becoming increasingly cost prohibitive for us on less incomes.

there are no "annual renewal fees". You can use the same software for life, you may reach the end of your paid upgrades but its not mandatory to upgrade.

JR

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

there are no "annual renewal fees". You can use the same software for life, you may reach the end of your paid upgrades but its not mandatory to upgrade.

JR

And to further clarify this (which will make it even cheaper) there are no renewal fees specifically for Superstar.

If someone were to purchase a ton of hardware and software today, and use that same stuff for the next 6 years, they would never have to pay a renewal fee on the software. The only time any renewal fee comes into play is if you want to register a version that is numbered *higher* than what you are licensed for. If someone started today with 5.6.8, and a 60_CCR license, they would never have to pay for software again, *UNLESS* they wanted to register a version higher than what their license was valid for.

Posted (edited)

Thank You Orville for laying it out there. I'm not sure I would consider that option just in case those medical researchers got it wrong. 

So, again, I'm sorry for the complaints. Getting back to the original intent of this forum posting, I tried again to make the SS conversion work, but this time, it did not. I think what I did wrongly was trying to open via the SUP file instead of opening from inside of the LMS that was already set up for the planned Matrix and strips. Yes, I have to save up for those first, but wish to make sure its going to work BEFORE spending a ton of money on the hardware. I'll mess with it more today. Somehow I'll figure it out. Being formerly involved in serious software, the code I wrote made sure that for the "users", it was clear and concise as to how to use it and of course, made it "Bullet Proof"...no guess-work. Plus I didn't like getting called at 3Am to answer questions on how to use it. LOL, they still have my phone number posted in the "CCR" LOL, "Central Control Room". Just a coincidence, truly. 

Edit: Now seeing morph count errors and so on. I'm starting to think that my ideas are just not possible yet. Technology just isn't there quite yet.

Edited by dgrant

5 hours ago, dgrant said:

Thank You Orville for laying it out there. I'm not sure I would consider that option just in case those medical researchers got it wrong. 

So, again, I'm sorry for the complaints. Getting back to the original intent of this forum posting, I tried again to make the SS conversion work, but this time, it did not. I think what I did wrongly was trying to open via the SUP file instead of opening from inside of the LMS that was already set up for the planned Matrix and strips. Yes, I have to save up for those first, but wish to make sure its going to work BEFORE spending a ton of money on the hardware. I'll mess with it more today. Somehow I'll figure it out. Being formerly involved in serious software, the code I wrote made sure that for the "users", it was clear and concise as to how to use it and of course, made it "Bullet Proof"...no guess-work. Plus I didn't like getting called at 3Am to answer questions on how to use it. LOL, they still have my phone number posted in the "CCR" LOL, "Central Control Room". Just a coincidence, truly. 

Edit: Now seeing morph count errors and so on. I'm starting to think that my ideas are just not possible yet. Technology just isn't there quite yet.

No problem, was just a suggestion.  It's not for everyone. LOL

And I agree on the rest of what you stated, especially for the end users aspect of operating/using the software.  I totally agree.   And personally, I think we do have the technology to do this stuff, just seems no one knows how to implement it to make it work right just yet.  Maybe it'll come soon, as I'm sure someone is probably working on some of those aspects you've brought up.

So it appears that this will work using xLights. I'd rather stick with LOR instead of totally learning a new system. Just don't want to buy the SS enhancement if its not going to work for some unknown reason(s).