Light-O-Rama Forums

Only 1 Singing Tree working, same setup as last year worked fine?

Austinite

I cannot figure out why only one of the tree is working correctly with my show? The one pixie box that shows the tree working with the show has the light on, but the other two do not. Tested power and it seems fine but they do not light up. Any ideas? Thx.

Have you tried a reset?

Sounds like a blown fuse in teh power cord however since two are out check your extension cord. 

Unlikely that anything else would cause two to go out with no power light at the same time

JR

Thank you for the reply! The show is running right now--first night. Anything I can do without messing that up since people are here in the yard gawking (even though only 1 out of 3 trees is on)? I'm guessing a reset gets in the way of that. I am not sure how to check a blown fuse, not very savvy with that. I have the power running via a 3 outlet extension and moved the one around that is working to test if it was the cord but it works in all 3 positions. I checked the dip switches (I had done that manually last year), and they appear OK but now I can't recall what each "number" is supposed to look like. But I put them away from last season working, and set them back up the same so I can't think that any of that changed.

The fuses are in the power cord- plug. Just like led lights. Slide the door open. There is an extra fuse.

A reset is probably not needed since two went out that is why I say check the extension cord / surge protector or whatever you have it plugged in to.

Since there is NO power status light on two it would have nothing to do with dip switches or any settings, it is a power issue somewhere in line.

JR

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Austinite said:

Will check that, but the power cords just looked like regular black slim plugs without any room for a fuse?

Sorry, wrong. But the fuses look fine. Changed them out anyway and still no lights in 2 out of the 3. This is just perplexing.

7 minutes ago, Austinite said:

Will check that, but the power cords just looked like regular black slim plugs without any room for a fuse?

Changed

Measure to see if you have voltage at the Port connectors.  If yes, then there is a data / ID problem

Edited by TheDucks

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Just confirming: these are Pixie2 / CCR controllers (2 port) 12V or are these the older 5V ones

Yes the Pixie2, just purchased last fall. All 3 worked perfectly last season, the only thing I can think of is that I changed the left/right display order of the backup singers--Ralphie and Felix, but Felix is the only one that works. No lead Elden, no Ralphie. No red light, blinking or steady in either controller.

10 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Changed

Measure to see if you have voltage at the Port connectors.  If yes, then there is a data / ID problem

So I'm technically not technical, just getting these things assigned last year was a chore and I was so happy they all worked. How does one measure the voltage? I have a multimeter tool thing and a father-in-law here in town for the holidays that actually knows how to use it unlike me. And to be sure, where are the port connectors?

4 minutes ago, Austinite said:

Yes the Pixie2, just purchased last fall. All 3 worked perfectly last season, the only thing I can think of is that I changed the left/right display order of the backup singers--Ralphie and Felix, but Felix is the only one that works. No lead Elden, no Ralphie. No red light, blinking or steady in either controller.

No status = no power

Disconnect the strings (tree) AND the network: (reason for this is Aux power might have an issue)

<slap> Store bought CAT5 or homemade ? check the pin mappings with a CAT5 tester. a flipped 3-6 would buck the others Aux Power and shut doen the power supply

then plug the Pixie in. Do you get a LED now?

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

No status = no power

Disconnect the strings (tree) AND the network: (reason for this is Aux power might have an issue)

<slap> Store bought CAT5 or homemade ? check the pin mappings with a CAT5 tester. a flipped 3-6 would buck the others Aux Power and shut doen the power supply

then plug the Pixie in. Do you get a LED now?

OK, just unhooked one of the offender from the tree and cat5, brought it in the house and plugged it in--no LED still.

8 minutes ago, Austinite said:

OK, just unhooked one of the offender from the tree and cat5, brought it in the house and plugged it in--no LED still.

Any sign of water damage on the board? (white or green powder)? Something got to those units

Something damage the units at the same time if they both worked and then they didn’t.

Power spike. Bad cat5 cable or crossover cable however that may lead to comm chip failure and not power supply failures.

Changing switches inside will not cause the status lights to go.

No status light at this point means something happened to burn the comm chips.

Have you tried the proper reset

1-power on unit - plug in

2- push the reset button and continue to push until the last step

3- unplug the controller

4- wait 30 seconds (no status light I add some time)

5- plug unit back in

6- if status light flashes - NOW release the button 

7- search HU for the unit 

If this does not work you have either a bad power supply, comm chip or both

JR

Edited by dibblejr

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Something damage the units at the same time if they both worked and then they didn’t.

Power spike. Bad cat5 cable or crossover cable however that may lead to comm chip failure and not power supply failures.

Changing switches inside will not cause the status lights to go.

No status light at this point means something happened to burn the comm chips.

Have you tried the proper reset

1-power on unit - plug in

2- push the reset button and continue to push until the last step

3- unplug the controller

4- wait 30 seconds (no status light I add some time)

5- plug unit back in

6- if status light flashes - NOW release the button 

7- search HU for the unit 

If this does not work you have either a bad power supply, comm chip or both

JR

Thanks to you and @TheDucks for trying to help me out! So as of this morning, I still can't get anything from the 2 pixie controllers. Tried to do resets as you described, but the HU only finds my main controller and the "34" pixie which is the working Felix tree. I'm super bummed and don't understand how this happened--no water damage, nothing seems amiss looking at them. So at this point, what can I do to get these others working ASAP? I found the info on the 2 year warranty with shipping units back for assessment and whatnot but with Christmas only 12 days away from tomorrow that's not going to really help much. Is there something y'all suggest I do to get 2 replacement pixies here ASAP? I'll buy them if I need to, just want to get my trees back! To complicate things, I have to go out of town on a work trip tomorrow through Thursday. Can LOR expedite the process somehow and it doesn't get hung up for a week before shipping? I feel helpless.

Also, since the working tree is a backup and not the lead, can I change that pixie switch settings to think it's the lead and use it on Elden instead? Then it might not look as awkward with the one in the middle actually moving instead of all the way over on the right moving sometimes. Just a thought, but I don't want to mess it up completely. Thanks again.

Do you have a Voltmeter (DVM)  and feel competent (some folk don't feel safe with line voltage, which is fine. SAFE is important) to measure AC line voltage where it enters the board? I am not trusting those fuses/plugs/cord

30 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Do you have a Voltmeter (DVM)  and feel competent (some folk don't feel safe with line voltage, which is fine. SAFE is important) to measure AC line voltage where it enters the board? I am not trusting those fuses/plugs/cord

I do, we just tested it and show 120v going to the board.

8 minutes ago, Austinite said:

I do, we just tested it and show 120v going to the board.

IMHO the manual for Pixie2 is in error. The INPUT voltage is 120 (possibly 120-240), The Output is 12V

It seems odd with as many of these out there, that you would get 2 that failed.

Is the power module a plugin (or snap in). I ask as LOR states a 5V version is not being sold at this time, implying that may become an option. (they could also be solder in as it is a factory build.

Could the module have come partially loose? (the picture in the manual is really bad or I would suggest probing the output of the module for 12V and hunt for the 5V (logic) bus

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

IMHO the manual for Pixie2 is in error. The INPUT voltage is 120 (possibly 120-240), The Output is 12V

It seems odd with as many of these out there, that you would get 2 that failed.

Is the power module a plugin (or snap in). I ask as LOR states a 5V version is not being sold at this time, implying that may become an option. (they could also be solder in as it is a factory build.

Could the module have come partially loose? (the picture in the manual is really bad or I would suggest probing the output of the module for 12V and hunt for the 5V (logic) bus

WHOA, great thought!!! In the two that aren't working, the power modules appear to be kind of "off" the board but in the one that is working seemed more flush. I tried to press the side that seemed loose, there was a snap of sorts, and got Ralphie to come on with the red LED light! Unfortunately for Elden, that approach isn't working. Even when the module is snapped in, nothing is happening. We do get 120v into it. Hmmm.