Light-O-Rama Forums

Issues with lights during sequences

ncarter1105

I have been using LOR controllers for about 10 years and I am having issues I have never had before. I've usually always been able to plug and play, with minor things I've had to tweak, so please bare with me!

I set all my lights and controllers up as I did last year, nothing has changed. With everything plugged and ready to go, I noticed that my sequences seemed off, certain things (like my leaping arches and mega tree) were not doing what the sequnce is programmed to do. I decided first to test the lights, and everything worked fine. Each channel came on as it is supposed to. When I go to run one of my sequences, the lights are not coming on when they are supposed to. The sequence is right on my computer, but for some reason it is not relaying to my controllers. I have unplugged and replugged all the channels, I have restarted LOR software and my computer, I upgraded my license to include the newest version...nothing is working. I cannot figure this out, please help!

Edited by ncarter1105

How do I check the network speed?

And what speed should it be set to?

Edited by ncarter1105

5 minutes ago, ncarter1105 said:

Network Preferences.  Are you playing the show from a Director or from a PC?

As for as what speed it should be depends on your hardware and how many channels you have.  So how many channels do you have.

Also, is this your first year with S5?

3 minutes ago, ncarter1105 said:

Right click the lightbulb in the corner (tooltray) of windows.

Maximum speed is limited by your controller model and the Adapter. Most folk start with a Black one. 115K is the top for that, BUT if you use early ELL's, then you may need to use the default (57K)

LOR has a network speed chart by device

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Network Preferences.  Are you playing the show from a Director or from a PC?

As for as what speed it should be depends on your hardware and how many channels you have.  So how many channels do you have.

Also, is this your first year with S5?

I am running the show from a PC. 

I have 6 controllers, 16 channels. so 96 channels all together. 

And yes, this is the 1st year with S5.

Are you really running 5.1.x?  There have been quite a few fixes . Most are at 5.6.x   Does you license allow updates?  You might need to bump (consult with 5.6 users)

2 hours ago, basis21b said:

Are you having issues with your sequences when you run them from the Sequencer, a show or both?

So, when I test my controller, everything works. 

I have not run a show yet, but when I play the sequence from the sequence editor, that is when it the issues appear.

96 channels is not a big deal for speed, so almost any speed will work.  56K or 115K would be recommended, although even 19K likely would not be a problem.  Since you are 10 years into this, I would assume you have older controllers that can't operate any faster than 115K speed.

8 minutes ago, ncarter1105 said:

I have not run a show yet, but when I play the sequence from the sequence editor, that is when it the issues appear.

Trying playing a show.  Playing lights from the sequencer takes a FAR greater load on the computer than playing a show.

Exactly what kind of problems does it have?

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

96 channels is not a big deal for speed, so almost any speed will work.  56K or 115K would be recommended, although even 19K likely would not be a problem.  Since you are 10 years into this, I would assume you have older controllers that can't operate any faster than 115K speed.

Yes, they are older units. The newest one I bought about 3 years ago. All CTB16PC controllers. They are running on the default speed, not sure what that speed exactly is.

1 minute ago, ncarter1105 said:

Yes, they are older units. The newest one I bought about 3 years ago. All CTB16PC controllers. They are running on the default speed, not sure what that speed exactly is.

They detect the network speed You set at the host. stay at or below 115K. That new on can do faste, but it can not share with old units on the same network

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Trying playing a show.  Playing lights from the sequencer takes a FAR greater load on the computer than playing a show.

Exactly what kind of problems does it have?

My husband is currently on the editor now and is going to run a show to see what it does.  

The easiest way for me to explain it would be my leaping arches. I have lights wrapped around a PVC pipe, lights in 5 sections on each arch, 3 arches, a total of 15 channels. In the sequence, the channels should simply play in order 1-15 and it would look like the light is running from the beginning of the 1st arch and it would finish on the 15 channel, the end of the 3rd arch. When I test the controller, it works fine. When I played the sequence (not a show), the channels 1-3 come on, not 4 or 5, then channel 8 just stays on steady, and then channels 12-15 come on. It looks frazzled. I can try and get a video of it to post if my explanation is unclear. 

Thanks for the description.  That's odd.  I assume that is all on one controller.  Is that the only part of the display that is having problems (wondering if it is a controller problem).  Is that controller by chance the last controller on the network?

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Thanks for the description.  That's odd.  I assume that is all on one controller.  Is that the only part of the display that is having problems (wondering if it is a controller problem).  Is that controller by chance the last controller on the network?

It is EXTREMELY odd. I literally have done nothing different in the last 4 years. 

Yes, the leaping arches are all on 1 controller. It is my 3rd controller, not the last one. It is finding all 6 controllers too. But I am having issues on all of them is seems. Just harder to tell because they dance to music. It is easiest to see and describe with the leaping arches.

Just restarted my computer and ran a SHOW, still having them same issues. 

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Right click the lightbulb in the corner (tooltray) of windows.

Maximum speed is limited by your controller model and the Adapter. Most folk start with a Black one. 115K is the top for that, BUT if you use early ELL's, then you may need to use the default (57K)

LOR has a network speed chart by device

CORRECTION: I am running version 3.07, not 5.1

When i go into my network speed under the LOR tab, it gives 3 options: long range (slower), average (recommended), and short range (faster). It is currently set to AVERAGE. It does not give any numbers. 

2 hours ago, basis21b said:

Are you having issues with your sequences when you run them from the Sequencer, a show or both?

Just ran a show, it is having the same issues.

The only time I dont see any issues is when I test the controller. All channels work and come on in the right order during test. 

3 minutes ago, ncarter1105 said:

CORRECTION: I am running version 3.07, not 5.1

That's a big difference!  3.07 sounds like what you initially loaded a decade ago.  No DO NOT load S5 now - big learning curve as there have been a lot of changes.  You might want to update your profile to reflect reality.  As you may have noted, questions and answers earlier in this thread assumed you were using S5.

2 minutes ago, ncarter1105 said:

The only time I dont see any issues is when I test the controller. All channels work and come on in the right order during test. 

I'm running out of ideas here...

5 minutes ago, ncarter1105 said:

When i go into my network speed under the LOR tab, it gives 3 options: long range (slower), average (recommended), and short range (faster). It is currently set to AVERAGE. It does not give any numbers.

I did not remember that they did not give the speeds way back then (my first LOR version was 2.9.4).  "Average" is 56K.  For your number of channels, should be fine.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That's a big difference!  3.07 sounds like what you initially loaded a decade ago.  No DO NOT load S5 now - big learning curve as there have been a lot of changes.  You might want to update your profile to reflect reality.  As you may have noted, questions and answers earlier in this thread assumed you were using S5.

I'm running out of ideas here...

I did not remember that they did not give the speeds way back then (my first LOR version was 2.9.4).  "Average" is 56K.  For your number of channels, should be fine.

I apologize, I thought my husband updated to S5 last night when he purchased the new license, but he told me earlier he had not. Yes, I updated my profile to show what version I am on now.