Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about wireless units

Guest guest

Are they wi-fi (I mean home wireless network) compatible?

I am unable to find much documentation about them, except that they exist.

My real question, I guess, is can you drag & drop files (sequences, shows) on them like you would print jobs to a wireless print server?

Then you could 'fire & forget' them into a queue, thereby free up your computer to some extent? (As I understand it, in wired mode you pretty much have to dedicate a computer to the light show.) I guess the wireless unit would have to have kinda a lot of memory, with your computer spooling to it?

I don't know. How DOES it work?

Are they on 2.4 GHz?

TIA,
-jon

The wireless units use a different protocol than home networking.

The best way to think of them is as an "invisible cable" connecting two units -- there still needs to be an active device issuing lighting commands, such as the PC (which, by the way, can do other things while a show is active).

The wireless device is ideal, for example, for issuing synchonized commands to controllers across the street or some distance away on your own property.

Good deal. Thanks. So it makes no difference to the wireless unit whether the controlling computer is on the network or off. Though there might still be advantages to having my controlling computer networked.

-jon

digital analog wrote:

Good deal. Thanks. So it makes no difference to the wireless unit whether the controlling computer is on the network or off. Though there might still be advantages to having my controlling computer networked.

-jon

Yes, there is. I had my show computer set up next to my home computer. I would re-sequences shows there, and then move them over to the show computer via the network. So much easier than copying files via disk, etc.

If I recall correctly, Dan has stated that the LOR Wireless should not interfere with home networking. The ranges are rather far apart, again, if I recall.