Light-O-Rama Forums

Making a P5 Prop

Timothy

Easy peasy.  Just a Matrix - Horizontal rectangle.  Actual # of strings is the number of rows, and Exact # of RGB nodes per string is the number of pixels per row.  With a 4W x 3H P5 matrix that would be 96 rows and 256 pixels wide.

Define what corner will be the starting point - upper left in my case.  For channels set channels as DMX, Max channel at 512, and whatever starting universe you will be using.

Ok, just one more thing. I'm taking I'll need a 96 CCR license if I want to be able to sequence the whole thing in superstar, correct?

image.png.a45433deaef9d889aaf94f891f68481e.pngDoes this look correct? Why is it skipping universes, is that because I set the max channel at 512 and it's carrying over the 256?

First of all, uncheck the setting for a separate universe for each RGB string.

7 hours ago, Timothy said:

I'm taking I'll need a 96 CCR license if I want to be able to sequence the whole thing in superstar, correct?

SuperStar licensing is confusing by using the number of CCRs as the primary number.  That made sense a decade ago, but no longer IMHO.  Total channels is what matters.  Can also be expressed as total number of pixels if everything you are using SuperStar for is pixels.  Since a CCR is 50 pixels or 150 channels, do the math.  So, 96 x 256 is 24,576 pixels.  Divided by 50 pixels equals 491.52 CCR (equivalent).  The highest SuperStar license currently is 320 CCRs or 16,000 pixels.  Therefore, at this time, you can't sequence this P5 matrix with SuperStar.  I am in the same boat.  I currently have a 160 CCR (or 8,000 pixel / 24,000 channel) SuperStar license.  I could sequence my P10 matrix (6.144 pixels), but not my P5 matrix (12,288 pixels).  However since I put the same sequencing on both, I use Motion Effects, and for my purposes (only text), that works fine.  That is BTW, the only thing I sequence with Motion Effects.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, k6ccc said:

First of all, uncheck the setting for a separate universe for each RGB string.

SuperStar licensing is confusing by using the number of CCRs as the primary number.  That made sense a decade ago, but no longer IMHO.  Total channels is what matters.  Can also be expressed as total number of pixels if everything you are using SuperStar for is pixels.  Since a CCR is 50 pixels or 150 channels, do the math.  So, 96 x 256 is 24,576 pixels.  Divided by 50 pixels equals 491.52 CCR (equivalent).  The highest SuperStar license currently is 320 CCRs or 16,000 pixels.  Therefore, at this time, you can't sequence this P5 matrix with SuperStar.  I am in the same boat.  I currently have a 160 CCR (or 8,000 pixel / 24,000 channel) SuperStar license.  I could sequence my P10 matrix (6.144 pixels), but not my P5 matrix (12,288 pixels).  However since I put the same sequencing on both, I use Motion Effects, and for my purposes (only text), that works fine.  That is BTW, the only thing I sequence with Motion Effects.

So what I'm looking to do is have this sign go from a Tune to, to some motion effects and play parts of video throughout a sequence. I see that motion effects can play movies. I'm also going with a 4x4 matrix on this screen. From what you said, it looks like I'll be able to do that using motion effects and I don't need to use superstar.

At this time, it is too large to sequence in SuperStar, so Motion Effects is your only option in the LOR universe.

9 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

At this time, it is too large to sequence in SuperStar, so Motion Effects is your only option in the LOR universe.

Excellent. Thinking about it, I can't think of why I'd want to use superstar anyway. In my mind I will be using it for vid/motion effects/text so should be fine.