Light-O-Rama Forums

Delayed Gratification

Fred

I absolutely refuse to watch any of my sequences run until Opening Night. That way, I get the excitement of seeing the show run for the first time just like all my friends and family. (I'm really excited, too! Thursday night can't come soon enough for me!)

So, am I the only one who does this?

(Oh - by the way - I do watch a test sequence run. It just turns on each channel one by one so I can make sure I wired up everything right. I don't want to be excited and embarassed on opening night :P)

Fred wrote:

I absolutely refuse to watch any of my sequences run until Opening Night. That way, I get the excitement of seeing the show run for the first time just like all my friends and family. (I'm really excited, too! Thursday night can't come soon enough for me!)

So, am I the only one who does this?

(Oh - by the way - I do watch a test sequence run. It just turns on each channel one by one so I can make sure I wired up everything right. I don't want to be excited and embarassed on opening night :P)

Being from the music business background long ago, I do the opposite. I don't like surprises and neither do the viewers. I want it to be well presented to the viewers. I watch the show CAREFULLY several times at late night before I go live with it, and I do this as soon as I've got everything set up. Usually this is done by November 20. Sometimes I find that certain songs don't blend into the next one or change the pace as I originally imagined, so I then change the order of music. At other times, I might see that I use a particular effect too much or too little in various songs, so I want to tone it down a bit. This is something you can't visualize well when do individual sequences. Also, you will see timing and brightness mistakes in a live show that you don't see in a sequencer.

In summary, the surprise is nice, but I like to get my surprise several days early so I can adjust if necessary. Then I can focus on the audience reaction at opening night. I might add here that I do keep several backups of the original show so if I mess anything up, I have a fallback position.

Yeah.. My first show I blew a breaker and the house went completely dark.. (had to in front of the neighbors) .. go in the front door .. find a flash light ..fix the breaker.. fix the show..... they thought the show was great.. but seeing the flashlight shinnig in the house though the window.. really added a nice affect to the show : (