Light-O-Rama Forums

New To This. Want to do something very basic. What do I need to buy?

dodger24

I'm trying to build my indoor arcade room with this retro vibe. 

I just want to be able to add LED strips to all the trim, perhaps 2 strips in all the trim to have two different affects. 

Can I control the light show and music straight from the computer or do I need to create the playlist on an SD card? Playing from PC would be ideal for me.

If you could let me know exactly what I would need to purchase besides the software to create this. Thank you 

You can control from the computer or a Show director (pre-canned routines only)

Now for the difficult part: ROOM(s) are big (perimeters, so careful planning is needed or you are going to have a lot of cables everywhere.

Strips come in 5M (16') section. They have cut marks (usually 3 LEDS, which all light the same color. AKA smallest resolution).

Next, you need to decide Smart or Dumb.  Dumb means the STRIP is any 1 color=effect at a time. SMART is any Segment is a color (or effect)

Those decide which controller you use. Nothing stops you from using both types. BTW Basic is only good for 2 DUMB controllers. You need Pro if you go SMART

Controllers daisy chain on CAT5 (not real Ethernet. don't ever hook to that). So, you might put a Pixie2  (assumes SMART) in opposite corners with 2 ribbons 1 in each direction from the controller. With care and LOR ( they are a bit lower power) Ribbons, you could get 32' per direction.  If you need to cover more items, any of the entire Pixie series can be used BUT Smart do not like really lon cable to the Lights from the controller.

If you go the DUMB route (CMB24 controller is your only choice.  These use 4 wire cables).

With either, there are othe Lights besides strips. Bullets, squares, 1 segment rectangles and 10W floods.

54 minutes ago, dodger24 said:

I'm trying to build my indoor arcade room with this retro vibe. 

I just want to be able to add LED strips to all the trim, perhaps 2 strips in all the trim to have two different affects. 

Can I control the light show and music straight from the computer or do I need to create the playlist on an SD card? Playing from PC would be ideal for me.

If you could let me know exactly what I would need to purchase besides the software to create this. Thank you 

A small pixie controllerpixie2 or 4 would work great and are the easiest pixel controllers to get started with. You can use Motion Effects and get creative in your space.

A couple of my friends here have some great rooms with pixel trim on the ceilings

Play from your computer.

JR

Note  NO LOR device behaves like a color organ (Lights flash to the music input). You mus program the sequence to match the Music file (MP3 fixed rate)

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Note  NO LOR device behaves like a color organ (Lights flash to the music input). You mus program the sequence to match the Music file (MP3 fixed rate)

I remember in the early 80s while stationed in JApan we would connect Christmas lights to out speaker cables and it wasnt that bad. LOL

JR

45 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I remember in the early 80s while stationed in JApan we would connect Christmas lights to out speaker cables and it wasnt that bad. LOL

JR

In the Early 60's a co-worker with my dad wrote an article in Electronics World, on how to build a Color Organ. I built a Stereo one. 6 channels total (H,M,L) that drove 25W light bulbs (I rewired 2 pole lamps)

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Electronics-World/60s/1964/Electronics-World-1964-07.pdf p41

I later changed it to a shadow box with a few C7 bulbs per channel

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like there is 50 feet of ceiling trim in this living space. And would like to use SMART

What can I buy

• For SMART pro software. 
  • 1 pixie4
  • (what LED "rolls" can I use with 1 pixie4 1 corner?")

I'm guessing I can use 2 32 feet smart led ropes. out of 1 Pixie, and perhaps be able to invert 1 strip, "So lets say I can have light circling the ceiling trim."???

Do I need anything else. The pixie4 just shows a board. How does it get power, and plug into PC?

21 minutes ago, dodger24 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like there is 50 feet of ceiling trim in this living space. And would like to use SMART

What can I buy

• For SMART pro software. 
  • 1 pixie4
  • (what LED "rolls" can I use with 1 pixie4 1 corner?")

I'm guessing I can use 2 32 feet smart led ropes. out of 1 Pixie, and perhaps be able to invert 1 strip, "So lets say I can have light circling the ceiling trim."???

Do I need anything else. The pixie4 just shows a board. How does it get power, and plug into PC?

LED rope is not for pixies. Pixies are smart rgb controllers.  You can get rectangular modules that have 3 RGB pixels per module. They have double sided tape that will last forever inside. They also allow you to go around corners without cutting anything.

They are what I use on my roof outline.

JR

Here is a video of the rectangular. 4 years of full exposure to the elements 60' high in AL weather. 

Edited by dibblejr

What do i buy to do this with 50 feet of ceiling trim. 

I want to use led strips. When I said rope, I'm hoping to mean those rolls of led strips. 

http://store.lightorama.com/ascowipico123.html

http://store.lightorama.com/cocoriiic.html 4@

http://store.lightorama.com/piex.html  sized as needed to get to controller (2 ports worth)

Cat 5 to get from controller to computer

http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

And a Pro level license

• The topic was locked