Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Moving Head Light

Séduisant_Lights

I am Running S5.6.6 pro with a USB 458 adapter connected via cat5 cable to the LOR ST-SP-Residential-16 controller.  I would like to connect a dmx light fixture to the network.  I have LOR iDMX-1000 and another USB 458 adapter if needed.  My question is, 1) Do I need any other hardware, 2) Can I daisy chain the iDMX-1000 to an open cat5 socket inside of the LOR ST-SP-Residential-16 controller case or should I use two USB 458 adapters, 1 for the LOR ST-SP-Residential-16 controller and the other for the LOR iDMX-1000?   3) I have four VENUR THINTRI 38 fixtures.  I would like some advise on how to configure them in the previewer so that I can add them to sequences I all ready created.  4) I also have 2 Lixada 70W 4 In 1 RGBW Mini Moving Head LED Stage Lights with 9/14 channels that I would like to control as well.  Perhaps a link to documentation of a video would be the easiest, but anything to point b me in the right direction would be great.  Thanks,  Kyle

You will not need anything additional presuming you have XLR cables to feed the output from the IDMX-1000 to the DMX devices.  A cat5 cable can come out of your residential controller to the input side of the IDMX-1000.

Here LOR documentation for the IDMX-1000.

First you need to set an address in the IDMX-1000.  According to the documentation if you set an address on a Hex boundary it will consume 16 addresses.  So if you set the address to be 10, 20, 30...E0 etc. it would be in that addressing mode.  Assuming you set the Unit ID as 50 the device would consume 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 5A, 5B, 5C, 5D, 5E and 5F.  

If you were to set the address of the IDMX-1000 to something like 51 then it would only consume Unit Id 51. 

To sequence this we will assume a few things:

• You will add this device to your existing network
  • Your moving head has six different DMX channels
  • You assigned Unit 51 to the IDMX-1000
  • Your device address of your DMX device is 001

In your S5 preview you would create a prop with six channels.  Your Channel type would be LOR.  The Network would be the same one as assigned to your residential controller (likely Regular).  The unit id would be 51 your channels would be numbered 1 through 6.

When you sequence you then set the values in each of the channels to the value necessary to invoke the features of the DMX device.  In the Sequencer there should be a toolbar entry for Channel Effect.  You can click on DMX and you will then be able to set DMX intensity levels in your sequence to the desired DMX level.  Let's say channel 4 of the device controls a gobo and setting the DMX value to 40 selects the desired gobo behavior.  In Channel 4 of that sequence you set the intensity to 40.  (In this case the i key shortcut is your friend).

Hopefully this wall of words helps. 

This might help.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/MovingHeadLights-S5.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj1wK6Atrz0AhXdHzQIHTvkAlsQFnoECBsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3J3C-fJMGMibaV3_HdrT5t

I don't have the idmx. I just use a spare black adaptor and a crossover cable on a second network for my six heads and laser.

PM me if you want any more details.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just got mine working. I'm not using the idmx. I'm using a pixlite16 dmx port.  But it comes out of my cat5 port on the pc.  

I do not believe the out put on the cmd16 is dmx. It's more of a pass through to another controller for daisy chaining.  So to answer the question. I would run 2 rs485 to keep it simple or use a ethernet switch to plug in multiple controllers into 1 output of the pc