Light-O-Rama Forums

How to force player to recognize a modified audio file

k6ccc

In S4, if you edited an .mp3 audio file that was used by a sequence, next time that song played, the edited .mp3 file would be heard.

Now in S5, the .mp3 file in the audio folder is not (as I understand it) what gets used by the show player.  Instead the .wav files in the LORInternal\CanonicalAudio folder get used.  So if I edit an audio file (change levels a bit in this case), what do I need to do to get the Show Player to recognize that the .mp3 file has changed?

It appears that after editing the audio file with Audacity, when I open the sequence in Sequencer, a revised .wav file will be written in the LORInternal\CanonicalAudio folder. 

I this correct, or is there an additional step required?  Or an easier way?

Can I ask why you would change the bit rate?

In this case I believe you would need to load the Sequence in SE and then save the sequence and when it plays in the show next time it will play the edited audio file. You will need to run that show once to build the new show file. That should do it.  I wonder if the show file that is built changes the bit rate when it creates a wave file? also changing the bit rate would not changed the actual sound you here so how do you know it was not changed?

Edited by Box on Rails

I use WAV files exclusively for my sequences, and interestingly, there are no files at all in any of the lorintenal\cannonical folders. Not sure what that means.

2 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

Can I ask why you would change the bit rate?

I was not changing the bit rate - I was changing the audio level.  I had a couple songs that the audio was quite a bit louder or softer than most.  I brought one down 5dB, and two down 4dB, and one up 3dB.

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I was not changing the bit rate - I was changing the audio level.  I had a couple songs that the audio was quite a bit louder or softer than most.  I brought one down 5dB, and two down 4dB, and one up 3dB.

I get it now. When your post stated "change levels a bit in this case"  I some how read it as changing a bit meaning bit rate. I got that wrong. LOL. I have done the same thing with the volume and was getting the same result. It wasn't until I saved the edited audio as a new file then open the sequence and change the audio media to the new file that the changes took place. That was my fix. I use Sound Forge pro. 

Edited by Box on Rails

Hey Jim,

I've been out of the LOR loop the last 2 or 3 seasons, due to illness, so my experience is limited to S4. That being said, I, too, experienced similar issues. Any edits I made to an MP3 just weren't being pushed out to the show.  Mistakenly, I wondered if it was an Audacity issue.

My fix: I started treating the CanonicalAudio folder like a folder of "cached files." Once I began deleting the folder contents every single time I sat down to work with LOR, all audio problem were resolved.

Hope this helps!

Matt

2 hours ago, SuperMatt said:

Hey Jim,

I've been out of the LOR loop the last 2 or 3 seasons, due to illness, so my experience is limited to S4. That being said, I, too, experienced similar issues. Any edits I made to an MP3 just weren't being pushed out to the show.  Mistakenly, I wondered if it was an Audacity issue.

My fix: I started treating the CanonicalAudio folder like a folder of "cached files." Once I began deleting the folder contents every single time I sat down to work with LOR, all audio problem were resolved.

Hope this helps!

Matt

I'm still using S4 {4.4.16 Pro} and the only thing I do when I change an Audio file {in S4}, is open the original sequences, go to View, go to Waveform lick Off, then I go to Edit, click Media and load the new audio file {MP3 in my case}, then I go back to View and then Waveform and then select full height.  I see any and all changes if I increased the volume or had to fade out the song for a smoother transition into the next, but NEVER modified the length of the song so that everything still matched up in the sequence to the song.  Then I play it one time through and watch the Vis or animation file, everything looks good, then I save it back out with the same name.   And now I have the newer sequence with the corrected volume levels and any fade outs I may have need to make transitions smoother.

But I've never had to delete the cached files when just swapping out the same media file with a better enhanced one.  As the sequence will recreate the WAV file with the new parameters.  Has always worked for me without any issues.  But after a while I will delete that canonical directory as those WAV files eat up a lot of drive space.  I was hoping there was a way NOT to have the SE create them, but no matter if you have Use Internal on{checked} or not, it still creates them.

Orville, a lot of that changed in S5.

I can confirm what I said in my original post works:

On 11/28/2021 at 2:42 PM, k6ccc said:

It appears that after editing the audio file with Audacity, when I open the sequence in Sequencer, a revised .wav file will be written in the LORInternal\CanonicalAudio folder. 

Now I don't have some songs that blow you out of the water and some that you can hardly hear...