Light-O-Rama Forums

No 3.5mm speaker jack?

ItsMeBobO

My show computer BSOD three months ago. No loss of sequences but I lost the registry and network settings.  Couldnt trust it so I have since replaced it with a screamer i9.   I had no idea from mid October until today this desktop has NO green 3.5mm jack to plug in my transmitter.    I have been haplessly hearing the sound come out of monitor via an hdmi cable.     So... ok.. the monitor has a head phone jack... sure enough I can plug the transmitter 3.5 into the monitor but there is a lot of static.  Sounds 10% less good than barely good enough.    But the kicker is... the show computer shares a monitor with two other computers via a KVM switch.   So when I want to see the other computers on this monitor, it swaps the hdmi cables and boom... no sound to the transmitter but the show is still chugging. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
oops

1 minute ago, ItsMeBobO said:

My show computer BSOD three months ago. No loss of sequences but I lost the registry and network settings.  Couldnt trust it so I have since replaced it with a screamer i9.   I had no idea from mid October until today this desktop has NO green 3.5mm jack to plug in my transmitter.    I have been haplessly hearing the sound come out of monitor via an hdmi cable.     So... ok.. the monitor has a head phone jack... sure enough I can plug the transmitter 3.5 into the monitor but there is a lot of static.  Sounds 10% less good then barely good enough.    But the kicker is... the show computer shares a monitor with three other computers via a KVM switch.   So when I want to see the other computer on this monitor, it swaps the hdmi cables and boom... no sound to the transmitter but the show is still chugging. 

Get a USB audio card. KVM switches are not a team player in these cases.

Plus one on the USB sound card.

Are you sure there isn't a header on the motherboard to feed a front jackset.

Some audio drivers allow you to assign different sources to any jack.

Just a few thoughts.

The installed card has these jacks.  Seems to be made for a media center.

CS  center surround

Sb  Sub woofer

RS  Rear surround

Optical  

UsbC 

I managed to find in my junk drawer a headset with a detachable UsbC to 3.5mm jack.   This has gotten me over the hump but it also has static which sounds bad.    My old transmitter has RL rca jacks.   I use a 3.5 to RCA cable for that.    Amazon has a Optical to 3.5mm & RCA converter (arriving sunday) which I can plug into existing sound card and I hope will work better.  I hate that it needs another little wall wart for power.  Ive got a S**tpile of daisy chained power strips and many devices in that corner already.   

Phil called it!     My nose didnt look beyond the back panel.    Turns out this box has a flip open cover over the 3.5mm headphone jacks on the front panel!    Maybe I can cancel that Amazon order?!

JackDoor.jpg

• The topic was locked