Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP! CTB1602 suddenly won't play sequences or shows (but works fine)

Carsten

Hey everyone, I have a very weird situation.  My show is a modest 32-channel setup using a pair of CTB16 controllers.  I set up the same controllers / lights as I have the past several years, the same Ethernet cables, etc.  Nothing has changed.  I tested both controllers using the hardware utility.  Both controllers come up as follows:

01 - CTB16PCVer 4.32

02 - 16PC-G3 Ver 1.06

All the lights work on the correct channels when I test using the hardware utility.  Yet when I start a show or start sequences individually, only the first controller's lights work!  Again, I haven't changed ANYTHING from last year.  I tried changing the controller # of the second controller from 2 to 3 and back to 2, with no change.  I have made no firmware or software changes or updates since last year.

I would be very thankful for any help.  I'm doing a webinar presentation on Monday on synchronized lighting displays and will be in big trouble if my show won't work!

Thanks in advance,

- Carsten

Edited by Carsten

7 minutes ago, Carsten said:

Hey everyone, I have a very weird situation.  My show is a modest two-controller show using a I set up the same controllers / lights as the past several years.  Nothing has changed.  I tested both controllers using the hardware utility.  Both controllers come up as follows:

01 - CTB16PCVer 4.32

02 - 16PC-G3 Ver 1.06

All the lights work on the correct channels when I test using the hardware utility.  Yet when I start a show or start sequences individually, only the first controller's lights work!  Again, I haven't changed ANYTHING from last year.  I tried changing the controller # of the second controller from 2 to 3 and back to 2, with no change.  I have made no firmware or software changes or updates since last year.

I would be very thankful for any help.  I'm doing a webinar presentation on Monday on synchronized lighting displays and will be in big trouble if my show won't work!

Thanks in advance,

- Carsten

SPEED is probably too high for the older (01) or you enabled ELOR, 01 can't do that either

HU does not use Network config settings, which is why it worked

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply, but the older controller (01) is the one that works!  That might have been helpful to mention in my original post.  Also I didn't change anything with regards to software or hardware (I have an older laptop dedicated to LOR only).  So I'm doubly confused.

But again, I do appreciate the help!

- Carsten

7 minutes ago, Carsten said:

Thank you for the reply, but the older controller (01) is the one that works!  That might have been helpful to mention in my original post.  Also I didn't change anything with regards to software or hardware (I have an older laptop dedicated to LOR only).  So I'm doubly confused.

But again, I do appreciate the help!

- Carsten

Just to clarify. HU works with both connected and you do not change any cables between the 2 tests?

That has got me also 🥴

• Thanks 1

Correct.  HU works fine, all channels.  The only thing I can imagine is that somehow the Gen3 controller is being overloaded(?) and shutting down the outputs.  But why only do that with sequences running and not the hardware utility?

1 hour ago, Carsten said:

Correct.  HU works fine, all channels.  The only thing I can imagine is that somehow the Gen3 controller is being overloaded(?) and shutting down the outputs.  But why only do that with sequences running and not the hardware utility?

IMHO It take a lot to overload a Gen3 with Mini lights. As a matter, the firs string fuse would go (if strings were end to end)

Move the network cable AWAY from PARALLEL power runs , you might be coupling noise into it.  Also ensure the the controller has a good 3rd prong ground (Old outlets many times relied on just the screws to contact the metal box. Now days a Green/bare wire is used )

• Thanks 1

Okay super LOR sleuths, the mystery is over.  When I checked the LEDs on the two controllers with the hardware utility running, I got solid lights on both controllers.  When I had either a sequence or a show running I got the twice-a-second blinking ala no signal is being received on BOTH controllers (even though one of them runs the sequence).  So I checked the LOR icon in the system tray 'hidden icons'.  RED.

The fact that one controller worked and the other one didn't is what threw me off.  But once I enabled the show schedule in the system tray and the LOR icon went from red to blue, everything began working as it should.  

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but thank you very much for everyone who chimed in.  I'm ready for the presentation on Monday!

Carsten in Allen Park, MI (Go Lions, for the love of God)