Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible bad triac?

captainron19

So in the past I have had triacs go and represented by a channel staying on very dim …. Tonight I noticed one of channels blink every 5-7 seconds at what appeared to be 100% power.   Most likely a Triac issue also ?

I performed all the factory resets power down tried everything possible when I turned it back on it was still blinking the one channel at 100% power the next step I tried was to change the load on that channel and I put a higher load on their lights when I did that they stayed on at approximately 20% power which I have noticed in the past definitely means a bad Triac so that’s what it appears to be

Hi....this sounds more like a board or opto issue than the triac. Assuming there is a tiny bit of piece of residue, soil, bind, transition or dampness they can carry on that way. Since the opto is extremely delicate, in the event that it get's a tiny bit of DC voltage from anyplace, it will carry on like it is attempting to turn on. That is the reason here and there it does it and at times not. 

I would have a go at cleaning the rear of the board with transition more clean. Then, at that point, check your patch joints. I have had a few that did this and all I needed to do was brush the dampness off and they were fine. 

You would like to fix this as though it continues to bend like that it can consume the resistor off the board.

If the lights are LED and not a large number, this is possible.  If you have some incandescent lights or a lot of LED strings on the channel, see if the problem still exists.