Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Upgrade broke CCR Tree

RVNorth

I recently upgraded to S5 and have been working through my sequences. I was successful creating a preview and upgrading the sequence into S5. I can play it in Preview and everything looks fine. However when I try to run the sequence on my CCR Tre (12x50) no lights come on.  I fired up the hardware utility ans was able to turn each string on until all 12 were lit. So I know the computer is communicating with the controller. The controller is Unit 0C. I have verified that the preview shows 0C, and the sequence unit is 0C, and the hardware utility is using 0C.  I admit the S5 upgrade has been a struggle. I am not very familiar with all the language, Props, Motion Effects, etc. I was a pretty simple S4 editor.

Any help is appreciated, I have a show coming up in 10 days so the pressure is on.

Thanks guys.

The upgrade from S4 to S5 is a challenge, but once learned, it is far easier to work with.

Your forum profile says that you have a Standard level software license.  If that is correct, then the usual answer involving Enhanced vs non-Enhanced and / or Motion Effect does not apply since both of those require a Pro level license.  However your profile shows 4.4.6 - please update that as answers often depend on both the software version and license level.

Is everything on one LOR network?  Are you trying to play sequences from the Sequencer or running a show?  Do you have the LOR Control Panel running?  Do other controllers work properly?  Is the status LED on the CCR controllers solid or blinking?

Hey k6, I have upgraded my license to Pro (will update my profile), and I have downloaded and installed 5.6.6.

I usually do run everything on one network, REG. I have done this for a few years, 1 12/50 CCR tree and about 90 AC items (lawn ornaments or a string of lights). Everything LED.

For this problem, the only thing I am trying to run is the CCR tree. The controllers light is solid,, and the Hardware  Utility controls it properly.

I tried to run it from the sequencer. I usually did this in S4. But nothing happens, other than playing on my preview screen.

Yes, the control panel is running. That is where I opened Sequencer.

LED in the Tree Controller is on solid.

5 minutes ago, RVNorth said:

Hey k6, I have upgraded my license to Pro (will update my profile), and I have downloaded and installed 5.6.6.

Thank you for updating your profile.  It really helps.

6 minutes ago, RVNorth said:

I usually do run everything on one network, REG. I have done this for a few years, 1 12/50 CCR tree and about 90 AC items

1,890 channels total.  If you are doing that at 115K speed, that could be pushing the limits.  At 500K that should not be a problem at all.  Now that you have a Pro license, you can also run the network Enhanced if all your controllers will support it.

10 minutes ago, RVNorth said:

For this problem, the only thing I am trying to run is the CCR tree. The controllers light is solid,, and the Hardware  Utility controls it properly.

I tried to run it from the sequencer. I usually did this in S4. But nothing happens, other than playing on my preview screen.

In the S5 Sequencer, on the Control Light pullout tab do you have the Control Lights checked?

As my friend Jim states above, if this is a pixie series controller it MUST be run on 500K and Enhanced to operate correctly. Also since this seems new to you please check the pixie controller and ensure there is NO jumper on pins JP3, JP4 or JP5. 

Check the HU and ensure that the Logical Resolution is at 50 not anything else even if you have 1000 pixels per string.

The pixie controllers use a Unit ID for whatever number of ports it has. 2/4/8/16 and include Hexadecimal as well. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,8,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F and then 10. So on and so forth.

Your Prop Def should show your tree in the number of unit IDs.

Which unit ID is your tree sup to be and what is it found in the HU. I recommend turning off the dip switches and using the HU to set the unit ID.

JR 

Thanks guy's I appreciate the questions, particularly in this busy part of the year. I have been running an LOR show for about 6 years, but I have learned only what I needed for my purposes. I have not had anyone to talk to, just the LOR tutorials. So my understanding of specific names of components is suspect. I have 8 CTB16PC controllers and 5 years ago I added a pre-built Pixie16 Smart controller with my 12x50 CCR II Tree. I have been running this every year. Last year everything worked fine on S$. The I upgraded to S5. So no hardware change. To answer your questions.

Jim: The "Control Lights" has been checked.

Network Speed: I am connected using a cat6 cable from the USB485B to the Pixie controller. I usually have a bunch of linkers for the CTB16PC controllers, transmitted by one linker plugged into the same USB485B. I am unsure how to check network speeds, but I understand the Linkers to be running 57k - default. I assume the cable is running faster. 

As for Enhanced Network, ho do I determine if my controllers support it?

JR: My Pixie Controller has a unit ID of 0C. The HU already sees it as 0C and is able to turn all LEDs off and on and manipulate their colors. The Sequence also has all CCR channels set to Unit IDs 0C through 17. The Preview runs and the preview looks good. But when I plug the Pixie controller into the attached USB485B and run the sequence....nothing comes on.

However I may have a work around to get me through this year. I have a second Laptop with v5.6.6 on it, but I haven't upgraded to the Pro License yet. It works. I am able to run AC controllers and the Pixie controller sequences successfully. Not sure why the Advanced software on the laptop works, but it does. I may have done something bad when upgrading to Pro on the other. I did play a bit with motion effects, but not on the sequences I am trying to run.

At any rate, if you are willing to work with me to sort this out it is very much appreciated, I would really like to use the Pro level.

11 hours ago, RVNorth said:

Network Speed: I am connected using a cat6 cable from the USB485B to the Pixie controller. I usually have a bunch of linkers for the CTB16PC controllers, transmitted by one linker plugged into the same USB485B. I am unsure how to check network speeds, but I understand the Linkers to be running 57k - default. I assume the cable is running faster. 

As for Enhanced Network, ho do I determine if my controllers support it?

First of all (and unrelated to this issue), be careful with Cat-6 cable.  It is much stiffer than Cat-5 cable and tends to put more stress on the RJ-45 jacks on controller boards.  This is more of an issue with controllers where the cable has to bend 90 degrees to get the cover closed (such as most of the AC controllers).

Yes, I believe the default network speed for ELLS is 57.6K.  They can go up to 115K and can NOT be used on an Enhanced LOR network.  The Pixie controller unless VERY lightly loaded requires a higher speed and depending on who you ask, requires Enhanced networking.  That means that the Pixie can not be used on the same network as ELLs.  As for how to check your network speed, check out Network Preferences.  And if your AC controllers are Gen 3 (green status LED), they can handle up to 500K speed and Enhanced networking.  But remember that the ELLs can not.

• The topic was locked