Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial Error when connecting my CMBD24 - getting COMM port error 5, erratic controller identification in Hardware utility and Serial Event Error Type 41 help

SB Upstate

I have 4 ac 16 channel controllers, 1 pixie 16 and 2 CMBD24 controllers on my network - the 2 CMBD24's are new this year.   When installing I plug the 2nd CMBD24 into my network and it seems to cause communication issues and everyone time I refresh the hardware utility I get erratic and in some cases controllers missing or ones with ?? that dont exist.  I also noticed the the red status LED some time stays solid maybe for a few seconds then blinks twice per second.  I also on occasion have gotten Serial Event Error Subscript out of range Type 41 error.     I have swapped some ethernet cables and it doesnt seem to be isolated to the cable.       Hope I dont have a bad comm port(s) on my controller.   Any ideas folks?   It would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, SB Upstate said:

I have 4 ac 16 channel controllers, 1 pixie 16 and 2 CMBD24 controllers on my network - the 2 CMBD24's are new this year.   When installing I plug the 2nd CMBD24 into my network and it seems to cause communication issues and everyone time I refresh the hardware utility I get erratic and in some cases controllers missing or ones with ?? that dont exist.  I also noticed the the red status LED some time stays solid maybe for a few seconds then blinks twice per second.  I also on occasion have gotten Serial Event Error Subscript out of range Type 41 error.     I have swapped some ethernet cables and it doesnt seem to be isolated to the cable.       Hope I dont have a bad comm port(s) on my controller.   Any ideas folks?   It would be greatly appreciated.

You are pushing the single RED network hard with a Pixie16 then all the rest For the show, you should really move the Pixie onto its own (besides, it like ELOR mode and unless your AC are Gen3, they CAN NOT exist on a ELOR enabled net)

BUT HU does not care about that. So, check you r Pixie (if gen2) for a termination jumper, JP4. That can only be used if the Pixie is the Last on the chain.

Also Avoid running your CAT5 alongside AC power cords for more that a couple of feet at a whack.  space them apart if needed.

Check the Firmware levels on the CMB and Pixie, some older (FW) ones do not play well together.  HU can be glitchey.

But the bottom line, is does your show run?

Thanks - I have the latest version of the Pixie 16 no jumper on jp4 needed i think and it is not there - and all of my other controllers are new as a of last year so they work on the LOR enhanced network and the system operated last year with a few less controllers.   I am beginning to suspect it is where I placed the last 2 controllers causing intereference.   I have my light display extending on to my dock on the lake we live on.    One of the CMBD24 is mounted halfway out on an aliminum ramp and the other on the dock itself.   There is power running in the metal tubing of the ramp out to the dock.   It seems that when I have my cat5e cable running across that ramp I may be getting intereference.   Wondering if I cam getting a big magnetic intererfernce point there.   Still trouble shooting and going to get some shielded cable and see if that works.   my wife this I am nuts

1 hour ago, SB Upstate said:

Thanks - I have the latest version of the Pixie 16 no jumper on jp4 needed i think and it is not there - and all of my other controllers are new as a of last year so they work on the LOR enhanced network and the system operated last year with a few less controllers.   I am beginning to suspect it is where I placed the last 2 controllers causing intereference.   I have my light display extending on to my dock on the lake we live on.    One of the CMBD24 is mounted halfway out on an aliminum ramp and the other on the dock itself.   There is power running in the metal tubing of the ramp out to the dock.   It seems that when I have my cat5e cable running across that ramp I may be getting intereference.   Wondering if I cam getting a big magnetic intererfernce point there.   Still trouble shooting and going to get some shielded cable and see if that works.   my wife this I am nuts

JP4 (the block) was/is in the bag with the plugs and tint screwdriver.

Yes, laying CAT5 directly on that much metal is not best.

Can you dangle it between the posts or cover .

Corrosion = Insulator, big slams of metal = Antenna . The combination will allays find the perfect ratio to mess with your plans (Murphs law)

BUR First. TERMINATE the last board/ port withe 120 ohms.  across the blue pair (4+5) of a stub  of CAT5 or in a RJ45 plug (1/4W will fit Japanese PCB style)

Update  - I moved the Pixie 16 to the end of the run - had plenty of cat5 cables to do that and the whole set-up isnt super long - maybe 400 feet in total.    It still didnt help...then I decided to take the controller that was mounted half way down the 75 foot aliminum dock ramp and moved it to the shore - at first it didnt help but then I still had the power cord running halfway down the ramp - when i dragged it back onto shore the issue went away - when I dragged it back out onto the ramp the erratic communication started again.   If I had to diagnosis the issue it seems like the aliminum dock ramp was causing interference into my power but who knows at this point.   Still have to get the dumb rgb controller mounted on the dock connected  - going to try shielded cable.   I cant move this to shore as I would have 100 foot long rgb cords out to it.   ON paper this seemed like a good plan

Well I spoke to soon - seems like now it is anytime I connect one of CMBD24 controllers to my enhanced LOR network I get erratic behavior - the 4 regular 16 channel controllers and the pixie 16 when connected to my network alone all works just fine....not sure if I have a bad controller or if there is something different about the serial connections on the CMBD24 controllers......they work just fine on their own when I plug in and test them - definetly something happens when I connect them to the serial netowork and then all heck breaks loose

Got DVM?

Simple test: Take the power cord (plugged in as used)  to where you need it. Measure (AC Volts) BETWEEN THE ROUND HOLE in the end and the Dock metal. What is the reading?

The docks Grounding connection may have suffered over time.

Try CAT6, it has a higher twist inside and might reject noise better.

Also consider just splitting things up and a second network (Dock only) If the dock units are CMB24 only, they can run on a ELL (slow , second network and no ELOR)

BTW Check firmware levels. Just because it was shipped last year, does not mean it was the current level (They may have already been on the shelf with the then current FW)

Dock electrical system is brand new this year - brand new wiring and ground rod - voltage was good 125v.     I also reflashed all the latest firmware - CMBDs were latest the AC controllers and Pixie 16 needed an update.   I have another RS485 connector to separate the networks and some shielded cat 5e coming - those are my next steps.   Hoping to get this thing fully operational for Thanksgiving.  thanks for the ideas 

2 hours ago, SB Upstate said:

Dock electrical system is brand new this year - brand new wiring and ground rod - voltage was good 125v.     I also reflashed all the latest firmware - CMBDs were latest the AC controllers and Pixie 16 needed an update.   I have another RS485 connector to separate the networks and some shielded cat 5e coming - those are my next steps.   Hoping to get this thing fully operational for Thanksgiving.  thanks for the ideas 

Glad to hear the electrics were good. I was starting to worry that you had some dodgy wiring (you hear tales, I have real samples of what I found in the previous house I lived in).

Ok - I am an idiot - I made 2 of the long cable runs myself out of Cat5e and since I hate to make those RJ45 connectors I thought I would just jam the wires into one end of the cable and whatever the color order popped out I would match it on the other end.   Well while trouble shooting today I realized that all the pairs are twisted for a reason - I redid the connectors with the correct pinout and it works now.   All 7 units connect just fine as you see below.    Tried to save a few minutes and it cost me days.   Uggh.

image.png

26 minutes ago, SB Upstate said:

Ok - I am an idiot - I made 2 of the long cable runs myself out of Cat5e and since I hate to make those RJ45 connectors I thought I would just jam the wires into one end of the cable and whatever the color order popped out I would match it on the other end.   Well while trouble shooting today I realized that all the pairs are twisted for a reason - I redid the connectors with the correct pinout and it works now.   All 7 units connect just fine as you see below.    Tried to save a few minutes and it cost me days.   Uggh.

image.png

Had a new boss (to me)  that had been doing something similar with early 10bT, and always ran coax because of poor performance. I said the pairing pins must be done per spec (He was doing 1+2,3+4,5+6,7+8 )

Next I had them switch to 10/100 switches  (Coax limited them to 10).  Get a basic CAT5 tester to check cables for continuity and crosses 👍

59 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Get a basic CAT5 tester to check cables for continuity and crosses

Very handy device - I have several.  Note that most inexpensive ones are only looking for continuity from pin 1 to pin 1, and pin 2 to pin 2, etc.  They won't detect pairing issues.

• The topic was locked