Light-O-Rama Forums

AC Controllers

DougP

I have 2 controllers that has one channel that appeared to be stuck on.

As I was testing my display I had one string of lights that cam on as soon as I plugged the controller. Thinking that I had a bad Tac, I replaced it with my spare. It had the same problem but on another channel. I then went and reversed the plug on the string and the string went off. I plugged in the replaced controller and plugged a string into the channel that was on all the time and it was still on. I reversed the plug and it went off.

I then tested the controllers with the hardware app and it worked as it should. I also ran a sequence and they worked with no problems.

My question is, what would be causing this?

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know for sure but possible hot and neutral reversed. I make all my own zip cords and I also pay close attention to the hot and neutral when making them. Never had a problem.

You don't mention if the string is LED or incandescent, the age of the controller, or even if flipping the string returns the controller to proper operation.

LED's are very low current, and if there are not many LED's, there could be some vampire current through the internal rectifier to keep the triac from shutting off.  If it is LED strings, see if you can find an incandescent light you can plug into the channel to see if it still happens.  If this "solves" the problem, an easy solution is to try and get an incandescent light in the circuit (one c7 bulb would likely be enough) or put more of a load on the circuit.