Light-O-Rama Forums

grouping subdivisions

Pintobean

Good day,

I have a coro prop from EFL designs (46 Snowflake) and have imported the xmodel into LOR S5.  The submodels imported into motion effects rows as multiple rows.  As an example, instead of there being a spinner subdivision it is actually spinner 1, 2, 3, 4,5 with each one just being a single arm of the spinner.

Is there a way to easily combine these into one motion effect row or group so I can properly apply effects to the spinner?  Applying an effect across all subdivisions obviously doesn't have the same result as applying the effect to a single "spinner" prop would.

This particular prop has about 3 models in one plus backlighting so it would be very beneficial to be able to combine this subdivisions into appropriate grouping.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Pintobean said:

Good day,

I have a coro prop from EFL designs (46 Snowflake) and have imported the xmodel into LOR S5.  The submodels imported into motion effects rows as multiple rows.  As an example, instead of there being a spinner subdivision it is actually spinner 1, 2, 3, 4,5 with each one just being a single arm of the spinner.

Is there a way to easily combine these into one motion effect row or group so I can properly apply effects to the spinner?  Applying an effect across all subdivisions obviously doesn't have the same result as applying the effect to a single "spinner" prop would.

This particular prop has about 3 models in one plus backlighting so it would be very beneficial to be able to combine this subdivisions into appropriate grouping.

Thanks

We don't currently support that feature, though it is something we are looking at for a future release. For now, you have to manually create the combined motion row.

Another thing you can do is a chase across motion rows - the chase tool works the same on motion rows as it does for channels. This can work well for spinners and snowflakes.

The third option is to convert the custom shape to an advanced shape. See the Advanced Shape section in the help file -- it gives an example of creating an Advanced shape for a pixel snowflake. https://www1.lightorama.com/help/prop_shapes.htm

Thanks Matt - I did try the chase method and that will work for some of the submodels but not all

I'll just have to do it manually as you suggest, but at 450 pixels that's going to take a while.

Regarding converting custom shape to advanced shape - how would that solve the "sub model" issue?  I assume I'd need to create an advanced shape for each submodel?    This does give me an idea.  I can export submodels from xlights but it restarts pixel node numbering - could I import a submodel as an advanced shape and then manually update the pixel numbers?  In this case they would not be sequential and I don't know if LOR requires all pixels be sequential.