Light-O-Rama Forums

How many controllers can a mini director operate?

PostmasterX

I've used a mini director for the past few years. I started with TSO package, using a few controllers that came with it. I added a few pixie controllers last year, and had everything work for 95% of the time, daisy chained together.  This year (using the same set up as last year) I'm having trouble with my pixie 2 at the end of the daisy chain not working, and it interferes with another pixie controller. When I connect and test the last two pixie controllers (My mega tree) everything works fine.  I'm wondering if the mini director can't handle all the controllers? (Even though it was working last year?) And if not, do I need to run two networks from my desktop for the show? If so, any advice on separating the two networks (I.E. keeping all pixie's on the same network or go based on location in the yard)?  

Are you sure you don't have overlapping ID's

Pixie 2 uses 2 ID's, your Pixie16 uses 16  (and remember ID is in Hexadecimal) 0-9,A-F

I've not used a mini-Director, but use an N4-G4 to control my shows.  And as far as I know the mini doesn't have multiple network capabilities, only the N2-G4 or N4-G4 can do that.

Now to me, it sounds like you are having issues because everything is on a single network, and with some of the controllers you're using, it might be better if they were on separate networks.  I think it may be time to retire your mini-Director and upgrade to a newer multi-port N4-G4 Director to run your shows, with all the RGB items you may be adding, I don't think your mini is going to be able to handle all that on a single network.

My N4-G4 has 2 CTB16PC G1 V2 controllers on the Regular Network @ 115.4K {network 1}, then it has my 9 RGB CCB100D controllers on Aux A @ 500K {Enhanced Network 2}, my 2 Pixie2 {Singing RGB LOR Trees} and 1 CCC-II {actually a 3rd Pixie} for my 6 HC RGB 10W Smart Floods on Aux B @ 1,000K, Enhanced {Network 3} and finally Aux C was {and will be once I get it repaired} my Pixie 16D @ 1,000K, Enhanced {Network 4} controlling 3 100 count square RGB nodes, 11 CCR Ribbons and a few additional items I may add as things progress.  Just not this year, like said, got to have it fixed first before I can put it back into service.

But with all that you're currently operating, I really think you're going to need to get a multi-network Director, like the N4-G4 to continue running your shows off a Director unit.  And only the N2-G4 or N4-G4 can also be linked to another Director {N2-G4 or N4-G4} for even more additional multi-network capacity, if it's ever required.

Edited by Orville

As other said, sounds like overlapping ID's.

Depending on the effects you send, you MIGHT be at the upper limit of a single network. How many total pixels are you trying to run on a single network?

21 hours ago, Don said:

As other said, sounds like overlapping ID's.

Depending on the effects you send, you MIGHT be at the upper limit of a single network. How many total pixels are you trying to run on a single network?

I've double checked the IDs, which I assumed was the initial problem. My pixie2 that's at the end of the chain for my mega tree star is ID 16, my 4 pixie2s for the singing trees are 26,28,30, &32 I believe. And my pixie16 for the tree is ID70. 

It's got me baffled since it worked last year with the same set up, I literally just added the same sd card I used last year. 

Any advice on how to change it into two networks? I could run Ethernet into my house and run it off a desktop if needed. (Assuming I could connect the FM transmitter to my computer too to broadcast outside)

On 11/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, k6ccc said:

How many channels are being controlled, and what speed and type of network (LOR or ELOR)?

It's LOR and set at 500k (I believe that's right from memory) 

1 hour ago, PostmasterX said:

Any advice on how to change it into two networks?

Unless you have two USB485's available, (or a spare N2G4 or N4G4 director) you aren't going to be able to run two networks.

You mentioned that it worked last year with the same setup and the same SD card. It's an outside shot, and might be an absolute PITA to do, but see if bypassing the Pixie 2 (for the star) resolves the issue. You might also route around other controllers to see if one of them is somehow causing the interference.

Edit: Also, if all of your controllers are newer (last 3-4 years) try ELOR assuming the Hub let's you do that. It's late, and I don't remember the answer, but I would imagine that newer mini-directors (again, last 3-4 years) can support elor.

1 hour ago, PostmasterX said:

I've double checked the IDs, which I assumed was the initial problem. My pixie2 that's at the end of the chain for my mega tree star is ID 16, my 4 pixie2s for the singing trees are 26,28,30, &32 I believe. And my pixie16 for the tree is ID70. 

It's got me baffled since it worked last year with the same set up, I literally just added the same sd card I used last year. 

Any advice on how to change it into two networks? I could run Ethernet into my house and run it off a desktop if needed. (Assuming I could connect the FM transmitter to my computer too to broadcast outside)

If you haven't swapped the LOR trees unit IDs they are 30,32,34 and 36.

I helped a user today that had a wide variety of controllers, including CTB16's, CTB16G3's, CMB24's, at least one CCR pixie16 tree, and 4 singing faces (one does not work though). After I told him that they would not work together he convinced me that they worked last year and all he added were the 4 singing trees Pixie2's. After discovering he had made a few mistakes in HU with his new Pixie2's in config I made a test sequence. It worked. He then popped in his SD card and the show played. I don't know how or why all of that worked but it did. All you can do is try. If it works its good. If not it may be time to jump to a new computer.

He had his hub card set at 500K Enhanced. Worth a shot.

JR

24 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Light-O-Rama runs the whole TSO Package from a Mini Director on Regular Network at 500k Enhanced

Only on the newer uMP3g3 miniDirector.  The non g3 version can't handle Enhanced LOR nor 500K speed.

https://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

10 hours ago, Don said:

Unless you have two USB485's available, (or a spare N2G4 or N4G4 director) you aren't going to be able to run two networks.

You mentioned that it worked last year with the same setup and the same SD card. It's an outside shot, and might be an absolute PITA to do, but see if bypassing the Pixie 2 (for the star) resolves the issue. You might also route around other controllers to see if one of them is somehow causing the interference.

Edit: Also, if all of your controllers are newer (last 3-4 years) try ELOR assuming the Hub let's you do that. It's late, and I don't remember the answer, but I would imagine that newer mini-directors (again, last 3-4 years) can support elor.

I have a USB485 and a USB485HS laying around, so I could set up two if needed. And when I unplug the star's Pixie 2, the singing trees work fine, when I bypass the trees, the star works fine. And I looked, and everything is set up on a 500K ELOR. 

@dibblejr I double checked, and yes those are the IDs, I was thinking they were around the 30's from memory, but wasn't in front of my computer to check for sure. I just remembered that my Pixie2 for the star, and the faces aren't anywhere "close" to each other. I had to troubleshoot all the unit IDs last year to get them all working together on the one network run the from SD card. Since I haven't added or changed anything for this year's show, I assumed they should all work again. I double checked all the IDs, and they're still set to the same as last year, with no overlapping. 

Is it difficult to split the show into two networks? I'm pretty sure I'll have to do that for next year, as I'm planning to add a few more props I've purchased, just didn't get around to adding them to the sequences for this year. 

11 minutes ago, PostmasterX said:

I have a USB485 and a USB485HS laying around, so I could set up two if needed. And when I unplug the star's Pixie 2, the singing trees work fine, when I bypass the trees, the star works fine. And I looked, and everything is set up on a 500K ELOR. 

@dibblejr I double checked, and yes those are the IDs, I was thinking they were around the 30's from memory, but wasn't in front of my computer to check for sure. I just remembered that my Pixie2 for the star, and the faces aren't anywhere "close" to each other. I had to troubleshoot all the unit IDs last year to get them all working together on the one network run the from SD card. Since I haven't added or changed anything for this year's show, I assumed they should all work again. I double checked all the IDs, and they're still set to the same as last year, with no overlapping. 

Is it difficult to split the show into two networks? I'm pretty sure I'll have to do that for next year, as I'm planning to add a few more props I've purchased, just didn't get around to adding them to the sequences for this year. 

Adding networks is as easy as plugging the second adapter in to a different USB port of powered USB Hub Adapter and assigning the network. Then add it to your NP and assign to the controllers in Prop Def 

JR

For those reading this thread, when I referenced the "linking" of the N2-G4 or N4-G4 Directors in my post above, that option is only available in the S5 software, not sure, but I don't think it's in the earlier versions of S5, came about somewhere along 4 or 5+ iterations later down the pike.  Don't recall which S5 version started this capability, but pretty sure the early versions of S5 don't support it.  And earlier versions, including ALL S4 versions absolutely DO NOT support the linking of multiple Directors, again, only the N2-G4 or N4-G4 have this capability and must be using a later version of the S5 software.

@dibblejr today was a good day. Got the two networks set up and connected to my desktop. Fixed a bunch of software glitches, and was able to add two new pieces to my display I hadn't planned on. Last thing was to set up my mega tree, but as I was doing that, the metal pipe I use as the support bent and it came crashing down.

Good news, I can have a show without it at least, but the 25' mega tree was the center of the show. Thanks for your help.