Light-O-Rama Forums

Alternatives to FM?

NV1985

Hi!   I was curious if anyone knows of any alternatives to using an FM transmitter for the music on their displays?  We had some issues last year with ours, mostly just couldn't find a channel that didn't get interference sometimes.   I didn't know if there was a way to setting up streaming or blue tooth etc that people could listen through their phones.  I'm not very tech savvy, so we're going to just do FM again this year.  I thought I would ask around though so I can look into options for next year.   

Not that uses equipment that your viewers would have when they drive up.  Bluetooth is not designed for point to multi-point, has too short of useful range (unless everyone is walking through your small display), would require viewers to figure out how to pair with your transmitter, and lastly introduces delay that would make your music out of sync with the lights.  I can give a lot more detail on that last one if desired.  Streaming protocols add massive delay (a few seconds to tens of seconds).

There are audio distribution system that are real time - commonly used for meeting rooms for use by hard of hearing people.  Those either use dedicated radio channels or infrared light for distribution.  They work well, but would require that viewers get the right receiver from you before they can listen and hopefully you get the receiver back before they leave.

Blutooth has an open air-line of sight range of ~30'.

It also needs to be 'paired' (not a broadcast)

An isolated (Access point, that is not connected to you houses network) WiFi needs the user to link up THEN have an app that is compatible with what you send.

Again, not for the novice viewer.

Radio is something all have used. It is simple to tune.

Like Real Estate, (Antenna) Location, Location, Location.  Get the Antenna close to the listener. Keep it high and Vertical (whip style), And keep the path to the listener (RF) obstruction free (plastic bags are good if need for damp proofing. Masonry, Metal are the worst.

FM is the only practical solution as the guys above explained. The only other option might be to run speakers out to the street and keep the volume relatively low. They would need to be wired speakers however.

Also try adjusting the input volume as the transmitters often distort at higher levels. 30 to 50 percent is often the sweet spot.

As many people who stopped by last year tried to use their smart phones to listen to my FM channel which does not work, does anyone use live streaming of the music to the internet to allow people to use smart phones?

Read the previous posts.  Streaming will add WAY too much delay (seconds to tens of seconds).

If their smart phone has a real FM radio receiver (some do), it will work fine.  Streaming will not.

If you have people walking (I would think the primary reason for trying to use a phone), amplified speakers in your yard is the better solution.  Many of us do that.  In my case, my yard speakers run from 4:00 PM until 9:00 PM.  The first hour is the off-show hours music.  I keep the volume low enough that you can hear it OK on the sidewalk, but just barely across the street.

• Like 2

@NV1985 Which FM transmitter are you using?  Maybe the issue you're having is with the FM transmitter itself.  Might be worth replacing it to see if it makes a difference.  In the past I've used the Whole House FM transmitter that came with the LOR ShowTime Central with good results.  This year I'm using a CZE-05B (which several other forum members also use) and have also gotten good results so far during testing.

• Like 1

I updated my Whole House transmitter this year. The first year it was fine, I found a band with no interference and had about a quarter mile range. And that was after picking what was SUPPOSED to be an open freq after checking the FCC list of stations in my area. Then it kept getting harder to find an open frequency. Last year I barely reached the sidewalk. So I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3DZXGK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I got at least a 1/2 mile CLEAR signal (at full strength) at the same open freq I used last year. I cut back to half and now get that 1/4 mile clear signal, as of today anyway,. Hopefully it will stay that way.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that even on low power you are transmitting about 50 times the legal power limit for part 15 (the FCC rules we are operating under).  Hint, if your signal is broadcast quality (no path noise) from more than about 200 feet from the transmitter, you are likely over power.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  FM it is lol. The church on the corner and another person a street over also uses FM.  I think that's what makes it hard for everyone.  The radio we have to play for the side walk sounds so creepy after the show because it will randomly pick up the churches music through out the night.  So it's just slightly staticy gospel music going in and out 🤣  Last year we just had to really search for a channel that didn't get interference during the show too.  I'll have to look up our transmitter.  We got it based off recommendations on here but a while back.  

1 hour ago, NV1985 said:

The radio we have to play for the side walk sounds so creepy after the show because it will randomly pick up the churches music through out the night.

I ran into that issue and was just getting static playing through the speakers before and after the show. I found that both the Whole House transmitter and the one I just bought as noted above, will come back on to the same settings after the power goes out and comes back on. You know, like when you hook it up to a timer. I also notice that the receiver I use does the same thing.  So both are now on a timer that comes on five minutes or so before the shows start and they both turn off after the shows.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, k6ccc said:

Keep in mind that even on low power you are transmitting about 50 times the legal power limit for part 15 (the FCC rules we are operating under).  Hint, if your signal is broadcast quality (no path noise) from more than about 200 feet from the transmitter, you are likely over power.

Noted, thanks. Weird thing is that last year I was having trouble finding ANY open frequency, even using the FCC list. And about that time, I noticed that every time I pick up one of my house wired telephones, I hear a radio station through the dial tone until I dial. So I'm guessing SOMEBODY is probably WAY over power. It sounds like a commercial station.  One of these days I'll try to remember to pick up on the hour and see if they broadcast the Station ID like they're supposed to.