Light-O-Rama Forums

Keeping water out of the enclosure

Timothy

Has anyone tried using the gorilla waterproof tape to seal up their enclosure and wire connections? Just wondering how well it works or what others do? I'm looking to make it look professional and do not want to put a bag over it.

You don't need todo anything to keep the water out as long as you keep them upright. I have not done anything to mine in 12 years and they have never had water get in.

Agree with @Mr. P just make sure, no double and triple check the cases "SNAP" closed and you are good to go. I have mine mounted on green garden stakes and leave mine uncovered, no one notices them when the lights are flashin'.

5 hours ago, Timothy said:

Has anyone tried using the gorilla waterproof tape to seal up their enclosure and wire connections? Just wondering how well it works or what others do? I'm looking to make it look professional and do not want to put a bag over it.

CLEAR Flex Seal tape would be better.  It's weatherproof and waterproof!

4 hours ago, TheDucks said:

It should be at least 18" above ground (splash zone).

Sometimes that's not possible.  I've had my enclosures, mainly the RGB CCB100D controllers} not more than 6"-8" above ground, and I've never had any issues with them.  My CTB16PC Controllers G1 V2 boards, they too have been not more than maybe 3-4" above ground {channel dangles}, but I CAP OFF every unused dangle with Child-Proof Outlet Cover Caps, as well as any plug that has a female pass-thru.  Have never had any problems, and I've been doing it like this for years now.

I've covered mine with black trash bags for 14 years now.  Naturally, never a problem.  Big plus is the plugs stay dry!  Not pretty during the day but hard to discern at night with all of the blinky blink.

What is important is it be allowed to leak out on the bottom

Remember: Seals can keep water IN.  Always leave a drain. (and a top vent when possible to let steam out)

8 hours ago, Dave Pursel said:

I've covered mine with black trash bags for 14 years now.  Naturally, never a problem.  Big plus is the plugs stay dry!  Not pretty during the day but hard to discern at night with all of the blinky blink.

In my neighborhood, if I tried doing that, I would get written up with a violation of the rules by management or the owner of the manufactured home park.  No unsightly or trash visible in the yard, and they'd consider those bags unsightly trash.  And unfortunately, trash bags really don't look to good hiding controllers all over the yard in the daytime.  So I have to mount mine in the best way I can, some are visible, some are hidden from view.  I even try to "hide" as much of the cat5 and my power cords as possible, too.

Guess that's also part, a small part, of the reason it also takes me longer to get my display up and running.   I can't take the easy way out.

Not only that, if I don't secure them, our lawn maintenance folks would run over them and hack them up with weed-whackers and their lawn mowers.  Had it happen before, so I make sure everything is either buried, or in plain sight, when up close to things, so they {I hope} won't end up cutting a power cord or RGB light/power dangle off any of my controllers or props.

If it was just a trash bag covering something in my yard, if I could do that, the lawn folk would just run over top of it to shred it up, goodbye controller, cat5 and /light cords/power cords attached.  That's what they do, and we don't have an option to OPT OUT of the lawn service either.  I've tried that, and they refuse to allow anyone to OPT Out, like that $12.00 monthly fee for the lousy service we get would break them {owner/office/park management}.  Ugh!

Even during the monsoon rains and hurricane, tornados and all of the bad weather here in AL I have never had any controllers get water in them and I have many controllers mounted outside year long.

They keep the weather out just fine.

I did have my matrix get blown over and the controller mounted to it with the vents in the back got flooded during our first hurricane this far north in 2020. The Pixie16 and pixie8 and all power supplies were covered in water.

After I left the enclosure open a few days in the sun it all dried out and still works.

JR