Light-O-Rama Forums

G4-N4 Showtime Director won't power up from first controller

Gmitch

I used a cat5 cable to connect my showtime director to the first controller, but the director will not power up. Am I missing a step?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Gmitch said:

I used a cat5 cable to connect my showtime director to the first controller, but the director will not power up. Am I missing a step?

Thanks

If its connected to a pixie controller ensure there is a jumper on JP2

JR

2 hours ago, Gmitch said:

Thanks

What type controller?  Some may not power the Director at all.  That depends on the type of Controller being used.  If it happens to be a Pixie16 V2 board, there is no jumper, so that version can not power a Director.  Also, are you sure the Cat5 jack hasn't gotten damaged, bent pin{s}?  Or possibly loose from the PCB, which may require some touch-up soldering to set it back right again.  So many things can cause something downstream from the controller to not work.

Are you sure the Cat5 cable you used is actually a good one?  I've had brand new out of the bag Cat5 cables be bad, and why I now have a Cat5 tester for such things.  If you don't have one, you need to gt one!  They can be had for around $5-$10 or so, well worth the investment for troubleshooting cat5/network cable issues.

17 hours ago, Orville said:

What type controller?  Some may not power the Director at all.  That depends on the type of Controller being used.  If it happens to be a Pixie16 V2 board, there is no jumper, so that version can not power a Director.  Also, are you sure the Cat5 jack hasn't gotten damaged, bent pin{s}?  Or possibly loose from the PCB, which may require some touch-up soldering to set it back right again.  So many things can cause something downstream from the controller to not work.

Are you sure the Cat5 cable you used is actually a good one?  I've had brand new out of the bag Cat5 cables be bad, and why I now have a Cat5 tester for such things.  If you don't have one, you need to gt one!  They can be had for around $5-$10 or so, well worth the investment for troubleshooting cat5/network cable issues.

Ok, gotcha, Thanks! It was a Pixie16 controller.

15 minutes ago, Gmitch said:

Ok, gotcha, Thanks! It was a Pixie16 controller.

Pixie manual Page 33. There should have been a jumper in the bag with the green plugs (and tiny screwdriver)

JP2 should be real close to the Black RJ45 jax

💡 Old techs trick: Park unused jumpers by only having them on ONE PIN (at right angle or off to one side). That way there will not be: " where the  $%&*  heck did I put that bag'. Old computer mother boards, 5.25 disk drives are other places to rob.

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Pixie manual Page 33. There should have been a jumper in the bag with the green plugs (and tiny screwdriver)

💡 Old techs trick: Park unused jumpers by only having them on ONE PIN (at right angle or off to one side). That way there will not be: " where the  $%&*  heck did I put that bag'. Old computer mother boards, 5.25 disk drives are other places to rob.

Lol, ok thanks!

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That one,  "Old techs trick", I learned eons ago!  Even before I knew what a "tech" was! LOL

My Pixie16D has a V2 board and NO JP2 jumper, so it CAN NOT, nor will it power a Director unit, I tried that, and it would not power it. I have to use one of my CTB16PC controllers to power my Director or an adapter.  I prefer the controller take care of that.

Edited by Orville

The Jumper was added in Gen 2, But I thought it was just to ISOLATE the electronics from the cable (Pins 3 + 6 are daisy chained. I use this to operate the next PSU power relay. saves 300WHr per controller/day . CA Electric rates are near highest in the nation )

I keep mixing up V2 (the copper) with Gen 2 (the assy) 🤕

There is a whole lot to be said about product model names.

(I Mod at another forum)

My Kindle does not do  X .

Which Kindle? Touch.

What version Touch (V5-V10 and it is not marked that way)?

Edited by TheDucks

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

The Jumper was added in Gen 2, But I thought it was just to ISOLATE the electronics from the cable (Pins 3 + 6 are daisy chained. I use this to operate the next PSU power relay. saves 300WHr per controller/day . CA Electric rates are near highest in the nation )

I keep mixing up V2 (the copper) with Gen 2 (the assy) 🤕

There is a whole lot to be said about product model names.

(I Mod at another forum)

My Kindle does not do  X .

Which Kindle? Touch.

What version Touch (V5-V10 and it is not marked that way)?

Jumper on JP2 supplies accessory power

JR