Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting to Neighbor across the street

JIMITHANG

Hi Team,

Happy Holidays and thank you in advance for your support.  Last year I ran a cat6 cable across the street over some garland and connected to my neighbors controller so I could control both houses.  This year, I have added another 16 channel box and he did as well.  My question is, how do I cable that up? I have to use the RS485 from my PC to controller 1 and then use that "out" to get across the street to his controller 1.  He could then connect via patch cord to his second controller but then we could have to come back across the street to get to my second controller.  The way I have it laid out, its not feasible to put my second controller inline with the first as it would defeat major benefit of the second controller which is shortening cable runs, etc.  I have attached a VERY basic drawing of what I am talking about.  

How do you solve this?  Is there an adapter that lets me add a port so I can connect to both of mine and still get to his?  I thought about using ELL's but if I decide to use pixels next year that would be a waste of money plus I am not exactly sure how that setup would work??  

Anyway, appreciate the advice.  

Lights.pdf

Also remember that the RS-485 spec is 4,000 feet of cable, so long runs generally are not a problem.

• Like 1