Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating a Matrix in Visualizer - channel problems

jtomason

Another show locally closed up shop and I received a donation of a ton of gear - lucky me!   However, one of them is a matrix and I am struggling with FPP and Visualizer so i can try it with SS.   Boo!

So where I am stuck is:

The matrix is set up with FPP on 6 universes - 1024 pixels in a 64x16 grid.    I have added the prop to the visualizer, and am trying to add channels to them.  However, each universe only seems to go up to 170 pixels.   What gives?   I thought I saw reference to a default CCR mode somewhere, but I can't find it in the program nor any way to go with pure DMX.  

Visualizer v4.4.16. 

Thanks, Joe

OMG !   Your  VERY nice local shop used every channel of the 512 in a universe.      We say 170 pixels to a universe because that is the largest whole number under 512 when you account for the three channels  R G & B   170*3 is 510.   So there are normally 2 channels of a full universe not used.    Your guy packed em tight!   

Joe, it's pretty normal for P5 and P10 matrix panels to use all 512 channels.  S5 has no trouble with that, but you found that S4 Visualizer can't.  However, you can set it to almost any number you want.  There is a setting in FPP to change the number of channels per universe.  After dinner (already called, I will fire up my FPP for my matrix arrays and figure out where it is.  Any other help with FPP to drive your panels and I should be able to help (this is year 4 for me with the matrix panels).

In FPP, you can change universes to only use 510 channels on the Channel Inputs selection on the Channel Inputs selection.

OK.. Thanks gents.    Now I have to reassign all the fixtures in the Visualizer.   When I try to import the visualization into SS it is telling me that features are using the same channels.  

This is becoming more of a PITA than it's worth.   :(

Edited by jtomason

Just as an FYI, a P10 matrix is easy in S5.  I could build my 36K channels P5 matrix in the Preview Editor in S5 from scratch in less than 30 seconds.  Done.

But don't even think of moving up to S5 now.  Do that in January...

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Just as an FYI, a P10 matrix is easy in S5.  I could build my 36K channels P5 matrix in the Preview Editor in S5 from scratch in less than 30 seconds.  Done.

But don't even think of moving up to S5 now.  Do that in January...

I tried like two years ago but IIRC it requires every sequence to be in the Visualizer, and I don't use the Visualizer at all.   Well, except now with this PITA panel.  :)

So I tried the channel wizard and it decided to use 1 universe for each 128 pixels (or two rows), so I guess I need to adjust FPP to use only 128 pixels per universe.