Light-O-Rama Forums

Programing Arches

Ralph A

I have a question for those who have programmed Arches for in the past. I have 5 Arches, 7 channels each. This is my first year to have them. When I set them up and ran through the show I noticed on the slower moving parts of the programming, they are a bit choppy. It's annoying!

I did not fade them up or down when moving from one section of the arch to another. I just stopped it at one segment and started it with cold with the next.

To make it smooth how do the rest of you program them? How much time do fade up or down with or do you?

Thanks Ralph

I think some that looked good last year were 1/4 of the segment time ramping up, 1/4 of the segment time on, and 1/2 ramping down. I think the segments were either 1/4 on time offset, or 1/2 time offset... Probably the 1/4, so you do have nearly half your arch on at one time, but it gave a very smooth look.. It probably can't go too slow though.. This was on 8 segment, 20 foot long arches...

- Kevin

If you want to see an example of some great sequencing including arches, take a look at Richard Holdman's display from last year. Here is the link to his videos:
http://www.holdman.com/christmas/video.asp
He has graciously made his LOR II files from his 2007 show available to others. Here is the link at the PC forum:
http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=19717&highlight=holdman. You can download the zip file containing 9 sequences as well as the audio. Take a look at the Miracle on 34th St Overture for example of slow moving arches.
In my opinion, Richard presents some of the most creative, tasteful and beautiful displays I've seen in the few years I've been involved with LOR. You can pick up some great sequencing tips from his work.

Mark

Awesome! Thanks Kevin. I started applying the above formula and it is making it look smoother.

Mark, Thanks!! I must agree the t Richard is one of the best in an area of talent that is very long. I see I have a lot to learn. I was not aware that he posted last years sequences. I checked them out and I was able to see how he faded his and it was a big help. Thanks again!!

Ralph