Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 8 help please

Price Family Lights

Good afternoon,

My name is Mike Price and I just purchased a pixie 8 light controller with the square rgb lights from light o Rama. I went to test them before I put them on the house and only the first 6 lights of each strand are working when I use my mini director. I was told by light o Rama this was a plug n play system as I am new to all of this. I have watched yr videos on you tube and watched the webinars on this but nothing works.  I did everything. It all lights up under the test section, but when I go back to the mini director it stops working and goes back to the 6 lights again. If someone could help or is running into this same problem, please help. The only problem I’m seeing is it is not holding its unit id number in the hardware section, but I don’t know why that is either.

Mike

23 minutes ago, Price Family Lights said:

Good afternoon,

My name is Mike Price and I just purchased a pixie 8 light controller with the square rgb lights from light o Rama. I went to test them before I put them on the house and only the first 6 lights of each strand are working when I use my mini director. I was told by light o Rama this was a plug n play system as I am new to all of this. I have watched yr videos on you tube and watched the webinars on this but nothing works.  I did everything. It all lights up under the test section, but when I go back to the mini director it stops working and goes back to the 6 lights again. If someone could help or is running into this same problem, please help. The only problem I’m seeing is it is not holding its unit id number in the hardware section, but I don’t know why that is either.

Mike

Turn the ID switches OFF. 0 means HU sets the ID

Sounds like you are setting the ID with the Hardware Utility, while at the same time not adjusting the DIP Switches, as mentioned above.

If that's the case, then every time you power off the device it reverts back to the address assigned to it via the DIP Switches. Since that default is (I think) 01, you have a Pixie 8 acting as 01, 02 through 08.

Your seeing 6 bulbs light up, and the 6th one is Red, right? That's because the sequences you purchased have 16 channel controllers programmed in the 01, 02 and higher assignments.

Check the docs on the Pixie, and change the address via the DIP switches or the HWU. But you have to move switches around to set via the HWU.

I got the unit to id finally, but I still can’t get it to go past 6 lights. Yes the last one is red. I just don’t know what to do from there.

Anymore advice would be great.

Thanks

Are you using sequences purchased from LOR? If so, then you need to adjust the ID of the Pixie to match what is on the programming.

If you are using sequences you created yourself, what ID's did you give the controllers? How many do you have? Are there any errors on your Preview showing on the 2nd tab?

I’m am using all sequencing from light o Rama. I just don’t understand all of this fully. They advertised this as plug n play like the pixiel tree and the singing trees. I’m so new to this that I’m running into a lot of problems I just don’t know how to fix, so appreciate the help 

13 minutes ago, Price Family Lights said:

I’m am using all sequencing from light o Rama. I just don’t understand all of this fully. They advertised this as plug n play like the pixiel tree and the singing trees. I’m so new to this that I’m running into a lot of problems I just don’t know how to fix, so appreciate the help 

Plug and Play means You Hardware matches the sequence (not that it auto finds hardware and adjusts).  There was a "LOR typical" layout that all LOR Store sequences follow. 

ALL Expect Controller 01 to be AC (16 channels), then it goes on to add Pixels in the double digit range.

If you paid the Extra fee, you can adjust the channels in the Sequence to work with YOUR layout. Otherwise, you can only Play it as is.

I believe Per the LOR Sequence Layout page, you are going to want to set your Pixie 8 ID to controller 7 to work correctly as dumb RGB.

ReadMeFirst-C68P32.pdf#page6

2 minutes ago, Halladaylights said:

I believe Per the LOR Sequence Layout page, you are going to want to set your Pixie 8 ID to controller 7 to work correctly as dumb RGB.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The unit ID has nothing to do with making a pixie controller to make RGB lights sequence as dumb nodes. 

JR

2 minutes ago, Halladaylights said:

Note: Controller 7 refers to a Physical box. You need to set the (LOR) ID as indicated

Sorry, I thought the OP was using the LOR store sequences and you need to make your display match those per the layout if you purchased the RTG version.  (If you have YCM version, you can modify the sequence however you need to match your own display layout.)

I assumed the Pixie 8 and smart RGB pixels could be used as ID 07 per the LOR layout.  Didn’t realized you couldn’t use it in place of the dumb RGB pixels programmed in the sequence.  If this is the case, then a Pixie 8 and smart RGB pixels is not going to be plug and play with pre-made LOR store sequences as the LOR layout is designed for AC lights and Dumb RGB pixels (Pixel Tree and Singing Trees if you add those motion packs in too).  Nothing is in the pre-made LOR sequences for smart RGB pixels.  It seems that you will have to modify the LOR sequences (YCM version) to incorporate those into your show.

Am I understanding this correctly now?

Good to know, since this was in my plans for next year.  I will have to do more research on this myself.

3 minutes ago, Halladaylights said:

Sorry, I thought the OP was using the LOR store sequences and you need to make your display match those per the layout if you purchased the RTG version.  (If you have YCM version, you can modify the sequence however you need to match your own display layout.)

I assumed the Pixie 8 and smart RGB pixels could be used as ID 07 per the LOR layout.  Didn’t realized you couldn’t use it in place of the dumb RGB pixels programmed in the sequence.  If this is the case, then a Pixie 8 and smart RGB pixels is not going to be plug and play with pre-made LOR store sequences as the LOR layout is designed for AC lights and Dumb RGB pixels (Pixel Tree and Singing Trees if you add those motion packs in too).  Nothing is in the pre-made LOR sequences for smart RGB pixels.  It seems that you will have to modify the LOR sequences (YCM version) to incorporate those into your show.

Am I understanding this correctly now?

Good to know, since this was in my plans for next year.  I will have to do more research on this myself.

Pixies are 1 ID per port.  Channels (RGB grouped) are in the string per Node

CMB24 (Dumb) is 1 ID per board + Channels (RGB grouped)

Waaaaay different.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:53 PM, Price Family Lights said:

Good afternoon,

Mike

I sent you a PM with my cell. I will get you up and running later on.

JR

• 2 years later...

You would think that with the price you pay for this stuff they would make it simpler for Newbies  to use and understand Plug N Play means exactly that plug it in and it works . I am still struggling trying to get my pixie 8 to run all its pixel strings as dumb and the LOR layout says run it with ID 7 and everything will run just great.

17 minutes ago, Philbd said:

You would think that with the price you pay for this stuff they would make it simpler for Newbies  to use and understand Plug N Play means exactly that plug it in and it works . I am still struggling trying to get my pixie 8 to run all its pixel strings as dumb and the LOR layout says run it with ID 7 and everything will run just great.

Pixie8 Port 1 is that ID07 that you set.

The rest of the ports INHERIT their ID from that. S port 8 becomes 0E  The rest are those in between 08-0D

1 hour ago, Philbd said:

You would think that with the price you pay for this stuff they would make it simpler for Newbies  to use and understand Plug N Play means exactly that plug it in and it works

You still need a basic knowledge.  Same concept as driving a car.  If you know how to drive a car, you can likely get in and drive almost any car.  But if you have no concept of what a steering wheel does, or a gas pedal, or the brake; it's not "get in and drive".

And BTW, by comparison to a few years ago, it IS massively simpler to get started - with a very small knowledge base.

I would suggest looking at the top of any forum page to the blue bar and find where it says "FAQs - **Look here**.  Click on that and select Video tutorials and you will want to watch most of the tutorials in the first two sections.  Then damn near all that was answered here will make sense.

• Like 1

Plug n play means things are connected together (properly and neatly) and the items furnished work together..

Spend some time reading here and you will find a Newbie that bought various pieces from different vendors, only to find you can't use S with a LOR dumb controller, that nifty light set that does sequences cant be remote controlled via LOR

• Like 1

I am having a problem with my rgb mini trees from LOR. I plugged in 2 and only thr first bulb is lit. I used the test button on the pixie 16 but they still only show the one bulb lit. Thoughts?