Light-O-Rama Forums

Daisy chained controllers mixing up signals

ter16

This year I have added 2 new pixie8 controllers to my pixie16 (2nd generation with firmware 1.04). All channels, even on the 16, have 50 bullet pixel strands on each channel on a 500 speed network with the red adapter. When positioned as the first unit in the chain, each controller does what it's supposed to (though the pixie8s for some reason have the wrong colors), but the following two in the daisy chain seem to jumble the information. The other two controllers seem to play the first controller and then its own. For example, if the pixie16 is second in the chain, its first 8 channels will light the same as the first pixie8 box and the last 8 will light as the first 8 of what the pixie16 should have. This continues into the last controller which seems to try to run the light sequences from the first two controllers. It seems like a unit Id issue, but I can't see where. I have the unit Ids in Sequencer set to the hexadecimal system and none overlap as far as I can see. Is there something I'm missing with the unit Ids? Could something else be causing it?  I'm running the latest version of S5 with a pro license. 

Turn off all dip switches and use the HU to set the unit IDs.

Ensure no jumpers on JP3.JP4 or JP5

Since you probably have the dip switch from the factory on, all units are 1-8 equally and the pixie16 having  0A-10 being the only difference 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Pixie8 seem to default to BRG

See the Pixie manual Page 15

In Hardware Utility:  Click the Configure CC/Pixie button DO NOT BELIEVE the color order on the next screen: Click Advanced

See Page 16 ( See, yours also says BRG 😞  Make them say RGB (assumes you were just getting Blue when you said Red)

2 hours ago, Don said:

What UnitID's did you assign to the Pixie8's and Pixie16?

I turned all dip switches off on all three controllers when I got them and in the HU set the unit Ids to 1, 2 and 3. I have changed these various times to test if the unit ids were causing problems, but they didn't seem to change anything. Right now I have the pixie8s as 1 and 2, and the pixie 16 is 3. My various props have their ids set by the hexadecimal system. Based on TheDucks' advice above I was able to get the pixie8s to work without an issue, running them as the first two controllers. But the pixie16 still runs the programming of the pixie8s on its first 14 channels (I am only using 7 channels on each pixie8) and then the last two channels are the effects that are supposed to be on all the pixie16 channels. I have removed the one jumper I had from JP5 on the pixie16 as dibblejr advised and still get the same result. When I place the pixie16 as unti Id 1 and the pixie8s as 2 and 3, the pixie16 works perfectly, but the pixie8s both now do the same programming as the pixie 16.

A pixie 8 uses 8 ID's. A Pixie 16 uses 16 ID's.

Your Pixie 16 is 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0a, 0b, 0c, 0d, 0e, 0f and 10
Your first Pixie 8 is 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09
Your second Pixie is 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0a

Change the ID's so they don't overlap.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:57 PM, Don said:

A pixie 8 uses 8 ID's. A Pixie 16 uses 16 ID's.

Your Pixie 16 is 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0a, 0b, 0c, 0d, 0e, 0f and 10
Your first Pixie 8 is 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09
Your second Pixie is 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0a

Change the ID's so they don't overlap.

Got it! That's what it was, Don. I thought the unit ids in the HU were just to number the order of the controllers: first, second, third, etc. Didn't realize I could and should set them with the hexadecimal like I had in Sequencer for each prop. Thank you all so much that was a HUGE help!!