Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor FM Transmitter

Speedster

Any suggestions for a reliable and inexpensive FM transmitter that I can use outdoors (covered) in cold weather that also has a 3.5 mm output jack for an external speaker?

You could just extend the Antenna with a low loss (at FM frequencies) Coax.

Note: Avoid Coax that has ever been 'hanked' (most blister packs). This ruins the location of the center conductor, which never recovers its proper place.

K6ccc uses a remote Antenna (he has posted images in the past) mounted near the street.

@TheDucks Are you suggesting to disconnect the antenna and replace it with a coax cable, and the FM transmitter would still work with some volume loss, and then somehow connect the other end of the coax cable to the external speaker?  Are there adapters for coax to 3.5 mm?

Would this be a good FM transmitter to use outdoors?   https://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Elikliv-76-108MHz-Wireless-Broadcast/dp/B08B3KNX3J/ref=sr_1_14

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

Any suggestions for a reliable and inexpensive FM transmitter that I can use outdoors (covered) in cold weather that also has a 3.5 mm output jack for an external speaker?

Generally your transmitter does not have an output for speakers.  That would be the job of a receiver.

48 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

K6ccc uses a remote Antenna (he has posted images in the past) mounted near the street.

Yes, I have a remote antenna, but it is only about 3 feet of coax from the transmitter.

11 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Are you suggesting to disconnect the antenna and replace it with a coax cable, and the FM transmitter would still work with some volume loss, and then somehow connect the other end of the coax cable to the external speaker?  Are there adapters for coax to 3.5 mm?

NO!  The output from a radio transmitter is a radio signal.  External speakers are looking for an audio signal.  If you use an eternal antenna on the transmitter, you use coaxial cable between the transmitter and the antenna.

There are generally two ways to distribute audio from your transmitter or Director.  Option one is to send the audio to a radio transmitter and the other is to send the audio to amplified speakers.  Many of us do both using one of several ways to split the audio signal.  Another option is to send the audio to a transmitter, and then put a receiver in the yard (think stereo boom box) to produce local audio.

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

There are generally two ways to distribute audio from your transmitter or Director.  Option one is to send the audio to a radio transmitter and the other is to send the audio to amplified speakers.  Many of us do both using one of several ways to split the audio signal.  Another option is to send the audio to a transmitter, and then put a receiver in the yard (think stereo boom box) to produce local audio.

I do have some audio splitters, and also a boombox that I can use outdoors.  So I think I can get one of these options to work for my purpose.  Thanks!

• The topic was locked