Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR file storage… using a NAS (network attached storage)

ryanblazer

I just had to reformat a laptop to be a dedicated LOR computer.  I have my files saved on my NAS.  Now that I’ve reinstalled the apps on my refreshed laptop, I can open both the Visualizer and Seq Editor (3.12).  This is the version all my files remain in.  When I click to play the sequence, the Visualizer doesn’t play it.  I’ve not changed the default host or ports on either the Seq. Editor or Visualizer (127.0.0.1 / 30303).  I have the Visualizer engaged but it’s not synchronizing.  I don’t think hosting the files on the NAS would affect this since the apps are on the local device.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I don't use a NAS, but rather a shared network drive on my file server - so should be similar.  Let me tell you what I do.  On my file server, I have a folder that is really D:\Shared\LOR\ that contains all of my LOR files.  On all three computers at the house, I have that folder mapped as a shared Network drive of L:\  When you first install the LOR software (or later run the LORPost.exe program), the software asks you where the LOR files should be stored.  I tell it to use L:\  The software then looks at the mapped network drive on any of the computers.  Does that help?

10 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I don't use a NAS, but rather a shared network drive on my file server - so should be similar.  Let me tell you what I do.  On my file server, I have a folder that is really D:\Shared\LOR\ that contains all of my LOR files.  On all three computers at the house, I have that folder mapped as a shared Network drive of L:\  When you first install the LOR software (or later run the LORPost.exe program), the software asks you where the LOR files should be stored.  I tell it to use L:\  The software then looks at the mapped network drive on any of the computers.  Does that help?

I have that mapped and networked.  The file saves and reads, but the LOR Visualizer is not playing even though engaged, when I hit play on the sequence from within the Sequence Editor.  I checked the host and ports and they match.

It should not make any difference if you are on a NAS or not since the SE to Vis communications is not disk based at all.

It's been years since I ran S3, but at least for shows there is a checkbox you have to set in order to have the show player send data to Visualizer.  I sort of recall that there is a setting in S3 SE for the same thing.  Can't tell you where.

Is your Vis files in the same path as before ? It may be the absolute path was stored in your show.

Notepad++ is your friend. You can browse the XML files that LOR uses .  USE extreme care if you edit something :)

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It should not make any difference if you are on a NAS or not since the SE to Vis communications is not disk based at all.

It's been years since I ran S3, but at least for shows there is a checkbox you have to set in order to have the show player send data to Visualizer.  I sort of recall that there is a setting in S3 SE for the same thing.  Can't tell you where.

That's it!  I had to select "control visualizer" under the Play menu of the Sequence Editor.  Thank you!