Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware needed for Button

Lightnewbie

I am planning to use a button to start a set of sequences. I am assuming I need the button, director, some type of wires and an input pup? 

If you are running the show on a PC (as I do), you need the input device - either an InputPup, ServoDog, on an AC controller.  This MUST be running on a NON-Enhanced LOR network.  If you are running the show on a Director, you can use any of the previously listed input devices, or at least some Directors have inputs on them.  I don't use Directors, so I don't know which ones have inputs.

As for the switching device, it can be almost any switch.  Pick what fills your needs.  It can also be an alarm sensor, light beam, magnetic switch, light sensor depending on your needs.  For my year round landscape lighting, I use several of those.  I have a light sensor that detects it getting dark to start the show, a different light sensor to detect the sun coming up to shut down the show, two IR light beams to detect someone approaching the front porch, and a magnetic switch to detect the front door opening.  From whatever switching device you use, it just takes a little wire to get to the input device.

2 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Thanks everyone. What type of wire is required to connect button to input? 

Almost anything.  The voltage and current is low enough that darn near anything will work.

Show on demand is a show that is commanded from a show computer.

Interactives are sequence groups within a show that are triggered by an input via some input device.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Everyone of my Dumb controllers  supports button (switch) inputs which makes this high level requirement seem strange (Not that I need to worry...But).

18 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Everyone of my Dumb controllers  supports button (switch) inputs

Note that unless it has changed, although the DC controllers have inputs that can be used for standalone operation, they are not readable from a Director or show computer.  Also remember that inputs can only be read on a non-enhanced LOR network.