Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding LORs and Pixie 16s

Wylee World

I have been running a light show using 5 LOR controllers. This year I am adding 5 more LOR controllers and 3 Pixie 16 controllers. I hooked them up to the existing 5 LOR controllers in daisy chain. #5 to #6, #6 to #7 and so on. The Pixie controllers are hooked up at location 11, 12, 13. I run the hardware utility but it only finds one LOR controller. Should it not find all 10 LOR controllers and the 3 Pixie 16 controllers?  When I run a light sequence LOR 1-5 work but the new 6-13 controllers do nothing.  I am lost help?

2 things.

1) When in the Hardware Utility, look at the top right for the "Max Unit ID." The software won't search higher than that number.

2) You're Pixie 16's are using 16 ID's per device. I would recommend assigning them to 10, 20 and 30. As it stands now you have overlapping ID's.

What speed is your network set for and Enhanced or non-enhanced?  Note, that this is not directly related to your issue with the HU, but may impact your ability to play the show.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Will definitely need to run more then one network.

With three Pixie 16s - no kidding.  Unless they are VERY lightly loaded.

• 3 weeks later...

Big help thanks.

I set the Pixie 16's to IDs 20, 30 and 40.  I am using the pixie 16s to run 48 hoops of ws4811 dumb leds with two strings of 50 bulbs on each hoop. I now have it so that 50 bulbs, or half the hoop lights up and works but the 2nd half does not. I have the Pixie 16 set to 100 bulbs in the hardware utility but only 50 bulbs work. In the preview I select an arch and if I select i segment then one bulb lights up, if I select 2 segments that 2 bulbs light up and so on until I select the most segments allowed of 50 which lights up 1/2 the hoop or 50 leds. I cant select more than 50 segments. What am I doing wrong to get all 100 nodes to light up?

WS4811

is that a typo?

Pixies only run Smart Nodes.  If yo push the Test/Reset button ON the Pixie, what happens?

Also remember that LOR uses HEXADECIMAL for Unit ID #'s.  If you use decimal to ID your controllers, you are putting yourself into some serious overlapping of ID's on those Pixie 16 Controllers!  These are nothing like an CTB16PC AC Controller that each has it own single unit ID.   With all the controllers in my display, 2 CTB16PC's, 9 CCB100D 5V Controllers and 3 Pixie 2D Controllers and 1 Pixie 16 Controller, that may look like 15 controllers, but the reality of it is, each Pixie2D uses 2 ID #'s, and the Pixie 16D uses 16 ID's.  So those 4 controllers alone in my display are using a total of  22 Controller ID numbers! Add in my 9 CCB100D {set as single ID unit controllers}, now I'm at 31 Controller ID #s, then add in my 2 CTB16PC AC Controllers, and I'm now at a total of 33 Controller ID numbers.  And the slider in the HU also uses Hex for the Controllers connected.  I always add 2 extra over the actual number I have.  So I set the HU slider to 28 Hex {decimal #40}, as I do have 2 controllers I'm not using {as yet}.  I add those in, then I'm using another 3 ID #'s for a total of 37 total ID numbers in use.

SO if you're counting each controller as 1 unit, and you set the slider to correspond to that number, it's not going to find a lot of your controllers.  Although the Pixie 16D and Pixie2D's only show up as ONE controller in the drop-down controller box, their extra assigned ID numbers WILL NOT display in that section.  But they are there.

And from what you've typed, I think your ID assignments are really screwed up with such bad overlapping, that's why they aren't working or being found.

2 hours ago, Wylee World said:

I set the Pixie 16's to IDs 20, 30 and 40.  I am using the pixie 16s to run 48 hoops of ws4811 dumb leds with two strings of 50 bulbs on each hoop.

Your 20, 30, & 40 are just fine.  Assuming you really meant WS2811 smart pixels, you are putting out 4,800 pixels.  WAY too much for a single network.  Even putting two of the Pixie 16s on one network is likely going to be two much.  Plan on running three networks for the Pixie controllers and a fourth for everything else.  You may be able to combine the other stuff with some combination of the first three.

31 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Your 20, 30, & 40 are just fine.

If the pixies16's are using 16 ID's each they are overlapping. He needs (for example) Pixie 1 set to ID#20 - Pixie 2 set to ID#37 - and Pixie 3 set to ID#53

^^^^^^ Right? ^^^^^^

The second issue would be the dumb pixels, but there is no reply to that yet.

1 minute ago, TheSignGuy said:

^^^^^^ Right? ^^^^^^

LOR uses Hex.

20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F

Repeat at 30.

should be ws2811.

working now but not the easy way. i set each hoop to a spiral tree and choose 100 as the light sets so all 100 nodes on each hoop now works but certainly is not the correct way, or easy way to do it. i have never set up seperate newworks. does someone have a tutorial on how to set up networks?

i have 10 ctb16 controllers and 3 pixie 16 controllers. with a hardware search it does find all 13 controllers. so I think set up is ok. pixie 16 #1 is using units 20 - 2f, pixie 16 #2 is using units 30 - 3f and pixie 16 #3 is using units 40 - 4f. 16 units each. i think this is correct. it just seems that in the sequencer it is listing each node as a channel.

2 hours ago, TheSignGuy said:

If the pixies16's are using 16 ID's each they are overlapping. He needs (for example) Pixie 1 set to ID#20 - Pixie 2 set to ID#37 - and Pixie 3 set to ID#53

^^^^^^ Right? ^^^^^^

The second issue would be the dumb pixels, but there is no reply to that yet.

Wrong! ID is Hex 20-2F, 30-3F, 40-4F  Each of those is 16

1 hour ago, Wylee World said:

should be ws2811.

working now but not the easy way. i set each hoop to a spiral tree and choose 100 as the light sets so all 100 nodes on each hoop now works but certainly is not the correct way, or easy way to do it. i have never set up seperate newworks. does someone have a tutorial on how to set up networks?

Use the "Wreath" prop or download the Circle prop from SuperStarlights.com

20 hours ago, Wylee World said:

Big help thanks.

I set the Pixie 16's to IDs 20, 30 and 40.  I am using the pixie 16s to run 48 hoops of ws4811 dumb leds with two strings of 50 bulbs on each hoop. I now have it so that 50 bulbs, or half the hoop lights up and works but the 2nd half does not. I have the Pixie 16 set to 100 bulbs in the hardware utility but only 50 bulbs work. In the preview I select an arch and if I select i segment then one bulb lights up, if I select 2 segments that 2 bulbs light up and so on until I select the most segments allowed of 50 which lights up 1/2 the hoop or 50 leds. I cant select more than 50 segments. What am I doing wrong to get all 100 nodes to light up?

When you set up the pixies in the HU, did you config it for 50 or 100 pixels?

Mine is out of service {needs possible repair}, so I can't check if that option is actually available in the HU at the moment.  So I'm attempting to go by memory on when I set mine up.  If you can set the pixel count in the HU in the Cosmic Config area, then you need to change both of those boxes with the pixel info count in them to 100.  If one or the other is 50, that's possibly why you ate only getting half of the 100 count pixel strand to light.  You need to set the pixels to the correct count for your strand in the HU.  Again, going on memory here on how I seem to recall setting my Pixie 16 up.  I know the Pixie 2's are set up like this, but can't remember if the Pixie 16's are.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Orville said:

When you set up the pixies in the HU, did you config it for 50 or 100 pixels?

Mine is out of service {needs possible repair}, so I can't check if that option is actually available in the HU at the moment.  So I'm attempting to go by memory on when I set mine up.  If you can set the pixel count in the HU in the Cosmic Config area, then you need to change both of those boxes with the pixel info count in them to 100.  If one or the other is 50, that's possibly why you ate only getting half of the 100 count pixel strand to light.  You need to set the pixels to the correct count for your strand in the HU.  Again, going on memory here on how I seem to recall setting my Pixie 16 up.  I know the Pixie 2's are set up like this, but can't remember if the Pixie 16's are.

All pixie controllers are setup in the same area in the HU

Hardware Utility/ Configuration/ Cosmic Color Ribbon/ Pixie Configuration

If you land on the "simple" screen there will be an "Advanced" button. It is always best to enter the advanced button and set everything on the next pop up which will show all ports to configure individually. The "set all" button can be problematic and sometimes changes do not take affect.

JR

Edited by dibblejr