Light-O-Rama Forums

Brother-in-law question

Gremler

My brother-in-law (also an LOR user) called me and said he wants to load the LOR software to a laptop because of power outage issues.

In order to get to version 2.0.16 one must first load the original LOR software (don't remember the version #) and he understands that.

He says when he tries to load the original LOR software on to his H.P. Celeron Laptop running M.S. XP Pro it say's it is not a valid 32 bit application.

I know there are 8, 16, 32 and 64 bit applications, and sometimes compatibility mode will have to be selected, but I have never heard of having to do that with LOR (at least I never have).

I have searched both here and P.C. and have no idea.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Bill

Is he installing from CD, or from a file that he downloaded?

If the latter, perhaps the file was corrupted during download. I would suggest getting a fresh copy of it.

bob wrote:

Is he installing from CD, or from a file that he downloaded?

If the latter, perhaps the file was corrupted during download. I would suggest getting a fresh copy of it.

It is from a file, and that was one of my first questions to him, he says the same file loaded on his Vista laptop, but he needs that one for work.

Keep the ideas coming!!!!!

Thanks

Bill

Vista may do some wacky things to executable files that it downloads sometimes. For example, I know that, depending upon where you downloaded the executable from and how you downloaded it, Vista will add a flag to it so that whenever you run it, it will warn you that it was downloaded from an unverified source, or something like that.

I don't really know the details of this, what all Vista might do or how it does it, but I suppose that it's possible that Vista can change the file in such a way that a pre-Vista system might not understand it any more. Honestly I find it a bit hard to believe that it would do that, but hey, I suppose it might.

I would suggest downloading the file directly to the non-Vista machine, bypassing Vista entirely, and seeing if that helps.