Light-O-Rama Forums

Difference between CTB16PCg3 v4 and v5

triplebradbb

I may be missing something obvious ... but what's the difference between v4 and v5 for the CTB16PCg3? Anything that affects the end user in terms of functionality, reliability, etc?  I've done my homework searching these forums and the Facebook group, but haven't found an answer to quell my curiosity.
Edited by triplebradbb

Do you mean differences in Software S4 and S5 as it pertains to the CTB16PCg3 controller?  If that is what you mean, then no, there is no difference.  I that is not what you are asking about, please advise.

No, I mean the physical hardware controller.  I've acquired a collection of controllers; printed on the circuit board, some say CTB16PCG3-V4 and some say CTB16PCG3-V5. 

I know the differences between the CTB16PC, CTB16PCG2 and the CTB16PCG3, but not the finer points of the version number.

Edited by triplebradbb

Duh!  I have not thought about the hardware version numbers for those controllers in years.  Unlikely much of a difference.

• Like 1

HW board V# (AKA Revision) could be anything from fixing a screen typo, clearing space around a hole, or accommodating an alternate part . None of which change operation (or the manual).

• Like 1

+1 on The Ducks information.  Say your CTB16PCG3 would have a RED L.E.D. for its indicator, and it's a V3 version, so someone decides they would prefer a Green L.E.D. for this indicator, just changing that ONE lone L.E.D. to another color would generate a new revision of the PCB, so that one could be CTB16PCG3 V4, then say LOR couldn't find Green L.E.D>'s for some reason, so they changed them to Blue, now you still have the same controller, same functionality, but it's a V5 because the indicator L.E.D. changed color from green to blue.   Or it could be a complete redesign of the PCB, yet still remain the same functionality wise.  

If you'd have ever worked on an Electronics assembly line, you would probably comprehend how this works a bit better.   What I stated is putting it into the simplest terms, there are many factors that may go into a circuit boards revision change, basic {as my examples are} or very complex, but still maintain the same function as previous versions, but there are exceptions to that, as G1 V1 boards can't use FW that a G1 V2 board may use, the G1 V2 boards can't use any of the newer G3/G4 controllers PCB's firmware.   But I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty of the technicalities of it, because to a person that's not worked with this kind of thing, it can be quite overwhelming and confusing.

• Like 1